iOS Question How do I let someone remote test my app?

App Dude

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm new to the Apple world.
I followed all the tutorial steps for development (certificates, provision, etc), and I can develop and test on my devices.
OTA deployer isn't working for me.
What's the "other" process to deploy an app through Apple, so that someone who's in another location can test? I believe this is what Testflight is for... is this correct? Or is there some other way? And is there a tutorial for this?

Thanks.

aminoacid

Licensed User
Longtime User
The last time I used Diawi it still require the device udid.

Yes, you are correct. With both Diawi and OTA deployer you need to get the UDIDs of all the testers, create the provisioning file and upload the complied IPA file. Getting the UDID of the tester's devices is not a big deal. In fact Diawi makes this also easy. I don't understand why the OP wont do this, or perhaps is unaware of this procedure.

Upvote 0

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Getting the UDID of the tester's devices is not a big deal.
How would you request testers to provide their devices UDID?
There are some ways to get the UDID and it is not easy for non IT savvy users.

Using TestFlight doesn't require to get the UDID, thus we don't need the users to obtain the long UDID, copy and paste then send it through email to the developer. The developer also don't need to update the provision profile.

Upvote 0

aminoacid

Licensed User
Longtime User
How would you request testers to provide their devices UDID?
There are some ways to get the UDID and it is not easy for non IT savvy users.

Using TestFlight doesn't require to get the UDID, thus we don't need the users to obtain the long UDID, copy and paste then send it through email to the developer. The developer also don't need to update the provision profile.

Never had a problem getting UDIDs from non technical people using "get.udid.io" (https://udid.tech/).Try it if you have not.
Even got to test my apps on Gran'maā€™s iPhone after she sent me her UDID. [not my Gran'ma. She passed away when mobile phones were science fiction šŸ˜€]
In my opinion, testing the compiled IPA, if you can, is the way to go since it is closest to the final product.

Last edited:
Upvote 0