iOS Question How do I let someone remote test my app?

App Dude

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm new to the Apple world.
I followed all the tutorial steps for development (certificates, provision, etc), and I can develop and test on my devices.
OTA deployer isn't working for me.
What's the "other" process to deploy an app through Apple, so that someone who's in another location can test? I believe this is what Testflight is for... is this correct? Or is there some other way? And is there a tutorial for this?

Thanks.

hatzisn

Licensed User
Longtime User
You can also test it outside AppStore. Add the UDIDs of the testers' iPhones create a new provision profile and deploy through B4X OTADeployer.

Edit: Why doesn't OTA Deployer work for you? Do you have a local Mac?

Upvote 0

App Dude

Licensed User
Longtime User
Upvote 0

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Where do I find out how to use it? I was skimming through a testflight video on youtube, but it started discussing xcode etc, so not relevant to B4i.
You need to create a TestFlight build in Apple Developer account and add the emails of the testers use to login to their iPhones App Store.
Then inform them to install TestFlight from App Store. They should receive notification of the test app.
You don't need to know their device UUIDs.

Upvote 0

App Dude

Licensed User
Longtime User
You need to create a TestFlight build in Apple Developer account and add the emails of the testers use to login to their iPhones App Store.
Then inform them to install TestFlight from App Store. They should receive notification of the test app.
You don't need to know their device UUIDs.
Thanks aeric. I've been reading about it. I've got two issues at this point:

- When I install Testflight on my iPad, all I see is a big message saying there are No Apps Available To Test. And there's a "Redeem" link in the upper right. It seems it thinks I'm a user/tester, and I'm not sure how to get to the page where I can create builds, test groups, etc.

- Once I get to the developer page, I don't know how to get a B4i app uploaded so it shows up as a "Build".

I still have a bunch to read, but the info I'm finding isn't very organized. I started with this page ( https://developer.apple.com/testflight/ ). The left is capabilities, and the right has 4 links... the first link is the one that seems to be for testers (not developers). The next 2 links are for the store (which I've read I don't need for testflight), and the last link is a discussion forum.

This video ( ) starts off in some testflight developer account, and already has the application uploaded as a build, but doesn't explain how to get there.

I can't imagine that there isn't a doc explaining the full process for developers. Much to read still, but it's been frustrating so far. 😞

Upvote 0

App Dude

Licensed User
Longtime User
Under appstoreconnect.apple.com, if I try to add a new app, I see this. But the help tips seem to suggest that it's for putting an app in the store. Right now, I just want to create a dummy app and send it to someone, so I can verify the process works and they can run it.

1671897962711.png

Upvote 0

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The steps are not straight forward and I also didn't find any guide to do that. Let alone the App Store Connect page is not developer friendly.
I can't remember every details and steps. What I can say is you need to use store provision profile and distribution certificate like how you want to publish the app. You need to create the unique bundle id or package name, not the wildcard name.

Upvote 0

App Dude

Licensed User
Longtime User
The steps are not straight forward and I also didn't find any guide to do that. Let alone the App Store Connect page is not developer friendly.
I can't remember every details and steps. What I can say is you need to use store provision profile and distribution certificate like how you want to publish the app. You need to create the unique bundle id or package name, not the wildcard name.
Oh, so you're saying I need to submit the app as though it's going to be in the store? I saw somewhere that for internal testers, Apple won't need to approve the app. But the page to add an app seems like it will go through the approval process. Or is there someplace where I specify it's only for development?
I don't mind tinkering, but I'm scared that something gets on the appstore when it's not for public viewing.

Adding one more note... I have seen tutorials on how to upload a build, but for xcode, and they are doing that directly from a menu option in xcode. I don't see an equivalent for B4i.

Upvote 0

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Yes this is a confusing part. Sorry if I gave wrong information. Base on my experience, I do need to upload the app (and wait for review) and I never find a way to skip this. This is an untold process or someone please correct me. There are many different answers from the Internet. Even though my app doesn't pass the review, I still able to make it available in TestFlight.

Upvote 0

App Dude

Licensed User
Longtime User
Yes this is a confusing part. Sorry if I gave wrong information. Base on my experience, I do need to upload the app (and wait for review) and I never find a way to skip this. This is an untold process or someone please correct me. There are many different answers from the Internet. Even though my app doesn't pass the review, I still able to make it available in TestFlight.

Oh... that's interesting. So let's say I go through the review process, as I make changes (regularly), do I have to keep getting it reviewed each time?
How long does it typically take for review?

Upvote 0

jahswant

Licensed User
Longtime User
You just need to create a store application and add a build to it. You can use your macOS to upload the build or use the IDE. After that add build to your store application. Then validate the build for testing on TestFlight. You don’t need to submit application for review.

Upvote 0

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Oh... that's interesting. So let's say I go through the review process, as I make changes (regularly), do I have to keep getting it reviewed each time?
If I remember correctly, I just let apple review 1 time, let say they reject or show any error, I just ignore it. As long as I can keep updating the app and appear in TestFlight. Take note that app in TestFlight only valid for 90 days and you need to upload new version with bigger version number to keep it active for your tester to download.

Upvote 0

App Dude

Licensed User
Longtime User
You just need to create a store application and add a build to it. You can use your macOS to upload the build or use the IDE. After that add build to your store application. Then validate the build for testing on TestFlight. You don’t need to submit application for review.

Thanks. I'm on a Windows PC, with hosted builder. What do I do in the IDE to upload the build? I see this. Do I use "Upload App to iTunes Connect" ? Or something else?

1671900413792.png

Upvote 0

App Dude

Licensed User
Longtime User
If I remember correctly, I just let apple review 1 time, let say they reject or show any error, I just ignore it. As long as I can keep updating the app and appear in TestFlight. Take note that app in TestFlight only valid for 90 days and you need to upload new version with bigger version number to keep it active for your tester to download.

Noted. Thanks very much!

Upvote 0

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I also think that should be the way but my experience tell me it won't show in the build if I don't submit for review. I have read from some developers answer, some says there are bugs in the App Connect system. Log out and log in again to have changes take effect. Maybe I didn't wait longer enough last time. 😊

Upvote 0

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Should you have submitted for review, it may takes up to 2 weeks or few days if you are lucky. Review is required when publishing your app for public and update a new version of this production app.

Upvote 0

mcqueccu

Licensed User
Longtime User
I am currently using test flight to test 1 application. The review process takes 1 to 2 days. But am sure it will depend on the type of application.

And yes, anytime you make changes to the application, it will be reviewed and approved before your testers can get access.

If you add external testers, you can get a link which can be shared to even people who are not in your testers list.

Upvote 0