Android Question How to automate app updating?

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Note: posts from #1 to #8 refer to an old version of the library based on an Activity object. Please start reading from post #9 to follow ongoing work on current version of AppUpdating.

Hi all,

I nearly completed my first "useful" app so I'm faced with the problem of how to automatically update it when new releases will be ready.
I'm not going to use any official market, just a dir on my Drupal website.

What I did so far, was to add a simple text file named after the app (in my case tmb.apk and tmb.txt) in that same dir and have its first (and only) row like this one: ver=1.02
Then I developed 3 simple functions GetCurVN, GetWebVN and UpdateApk to simply read the Version Number buried in the currently executing app (ATTRIBUTE #VersionName), the one stored on the web text file and finally download and install the new app version (if the case).

Since both GetWebVN and UpdateApk rely on HttUtils2.Download mechanism I am not able to wait for the completion of the first call before checking version and eventually call the updating sub.

How do you accomplish you apps' updating?

TIA

Umberto

Last edited:

EvgenyB4A

Licensed User
Longtime User
Is there any way that your technical support will help us with wrapping Android libraries and then using them in B4A?
Most of us came to B4A because don't want to deep in Java enviroment, save time and develop Android apps very quickly and effectively.
B4A allows that. It is amazing and genious, but there are libraries that are still lack. I will be very appreciate to get such a help.

Upvote 0