B4J Question 'How to' B4J on Windows Xp 32 bit

amorosik

Expert
Licensed User
I would like to install the B4J ide on a PC with Windows XP 32 bit to create procedures that will then be used on other PCs with Windows XP 32 bit
I have already followed the procedure indicated on the product page but obviously being recent programs and libraries they do not work on the operating system indicated above
I would therefore need to understand:
- which is the most recent version of B4J Ide that works correctly on Windows XP 32 bit
- which jdk to use
- what procedures / settings to follow for correct ide activation

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Upvote 0

amorosik

Expert
Licensed User
Win Xp 32 bit + B4J 7.32 + Jdk 1.8.0_152 x86

On supersimple program (a form + command button)
It compiles correctly and the form appears correctly
When the command button is pressed, execution stop
And it returns the log indicated below at

B4X:
Waiting for debugger to connect...
Program started.
#
# A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
#
#  EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) at pc=0x6d96202e, pid=820, tid=0x00000aec
#
# JRE version: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (8.0_152-b16) (build 1.8.0_152-b16)
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (25.152-b16 mixed mode, sharing windows-x86 )
# Problematic frame:
# C  [glass.dll+0x1202e]
#
# Failed to write core dump. Minidumps are not enabled by default on client versions of Windows
#
# An error report file with more information is saved as:
# C:\PROGRA~1\Java\JDK18~1.0_~\bin\Objects\hs_err_pid820.log
#
# If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:
#   http://bugreport.java.com/bugreport/crash.jsp
# The crash happened outside the Java Virtual Machine in native code.
# See problematic frame for where to report the bug.
#

Upvote 0

amorosik

Expert
Licensed User
I believe glass.dll, which is where the error seems to be is part of the Java runtime. I guess XP is just too old now. What does the saved log say?

As we say in the UK "You may be pissing against the wind with this one"

That the Windows XP operating system is old, is sure
That he is too old to run the B4J ide, is a nonsense
How did it get used 10 years ago with the B4J environment?
There will DEFINITELY be a couple of Ide b4j + jdk able to work correctly with Windows Xp

Upvote 0

EnriqueGonzalez

Licensed User
Longtime User
How did it get used 10 years ago with the B4J environment?
B4j was created when windows 10 already existed.

B4a existed way before b4j and it was made in winforms. Later many years later it was rewritten in wpf rendering xp obsolete

My best guess is to work with java jdk 8.52

Upvote 0

EnriqueGonzalez

Licensed User
Longtime User
Wrong I'm afraid
Nop. I am right and you are wrong:

This was the leap from b4a 4.0 to 5.0

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Daestrum

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
@amorosik Try using Java versions 8_131 or 8_141 or 8_144. (32 bit)

This bug was reported on later versions but because XP is not a supported OS it was basically ignored as not relevant.

Upvote 0

amorosik

Expert
Licensed User
Simple : Upgrade. You'll knock you head with XP.

Unfortunately it's not that simple
The question is not whether to use Windows XP or another operating system
On some machines it MUST remain Windows XP because there are programs that only work correctly on that operating system
And so if I find a way to make a B4J program work on Windows XP, I can conclude a supply to the customer
If I am not successful, the supply cannot be completed

Upvote 0

Sandman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
This is probably not an acceptable solution, but I imagine XP could run VirtualBox (or something like it), where one could install Win10 and then run B4J apps there. Just throwing it out there, in case it helps.

Upvote 0

amorosik

Expert
Licensed User
This is probably not an acceptable solution, but I imagine XP could run VirtualBox (or something like it), where one could install Win10 and then run B4J apps there. Just throwing it out there, in case it helps.

The idea was evaluated and discussed with the customer
But it was discarded for the resources required in terms of cpu and ram that the virtual machine would require
The current only alternative is to rewrite the program in another development environment
What seems strange to me is how it has been possible, I imagine for several years, that many users have been able to use the B4J environment on Windows XP
Surely I am missing some essential information, because besides the B4J installation and the Jdk, the configuration of the jdk path, there is nothing else to do

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sandman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The idea was evaluated and discussed with the client
But it was discarded for the resources required in terms of cpu and ram that the virtual machine would require
Well, in that case I assume you also evaluated and discussed with the client to set up a cheap piece of crap machine running Win10 and then connecting to it from XP using RDP?

Surely I am missing some essential information
I really don't mean to be rude, but I think the world just largely moved on. That might not be the case where you're at - I imagine there's parts of the world where people largely stayed on XP. (Imaginary reason: National Identity application only runs on XP, and was never updated. So people never are able to throw out their old XP installations, keeping the country back for decades, OS-wise.)

Upvote 0

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Nop. I am right and you are wrong:
It seems you are right. I don't remember that at all :(

I know I'm forgetting things as I am getting old but things seem to be far worse than I thought :( :(

Last edited:
Upvote 0