How to create a Basic4ppc library

dzt

Licensed User
Yes, unfortunately this is a typical behaviour of #develop. Visual Studio which I mainly use is better by far and lacks such a issues.

But #develop is free and has the ability to easily change the target .NET platform.

obrienj

Licensed User
Well, I just discovered that Reflector points out where things are being used that Net CF doesn't support, so I will rely on that.

As I'm retired and not running a business any more, Visual Studio is out of the question. To bad MS doesn't support some of this in the Express Editions.

Regards,
Jim

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User

obrienj

Licensed User
agraham,

Thanks for taking the time to offer the pointers. They explained everything or should I say sent be back to a place I had been in my Java years. Does "better mousetrap" ring a bell.

This is truely amusing for me. After all of the years of "...compiled VB is better than interpreted Java." We come to this.

Maybe Sun was right all along. Marketing does wonders for the bottom line.

I have seen so many of these in 45 years:

flat address space vs segmented
IBM SNA vs Packet Switching
Compiled vs interpreted
propriatary systems vs Open Systems
Object-only code vs open source​

and that's just a few of them.

OK, the old guy will shutup ad go to breakfast.

Regards,
Jim

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Compiling library

I am just wondering if it is possible to compile a library (using Visual Studio) that includes code both in Visual Basic and in C# ??

Thanks.

Rgds,
moster67

Last edited:

Louis

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi. ow can I hide classes that my library needs but that don't need to be called by Basic4ppc? Should I just change its scope from Public to Private? Thanks.

D

Deleted member 103

Hi agraham,

Making them Private doesn't work. Prepend their names with an underscore like "_Hidden" and Basic4ppc ignores them.
this is super! I've long sought.:sign0060:

Ciao,
Filippo

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Interesting...I will try and see if this works in VB.NET as well.

Making them Private doesn't work. Prepend their names with an underscore like "_Hidden" and Basic4ppc ignores them.

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Interesting...I will try and see if this works in VB.NET as well.
It will! It's the Basic4ppc library loading code that ignores classes beginning with underscores and it doesn't know, or care, what language generated the library. For some reason Erel wrote Basic4ppc to load both Public and Private classes from a library (backward compatibility maybe) but then added the "ignore underscore" code later so that stuff that you don't want to see in "Add Object" can be hidden although, and especially with VB.NET, on larger libraries you may get some classes that the compiler of the library has added showing up.

stratus

Licensed User
Longtime User
Trying to write a mine control for basic4ppc i try the scrollbar example of Erel.I open the class in visual studio 2008 and i build it without change anything.When i try to load the dll in a basic4ppc project this error message appears "An error occured.Unable to load one or more of the requested types.Retrieve the LoaderExceptions property for more information."What am i doing wrong;

stratus

Licensed User
Longtime User
I restart the pc and everything is ok now (very curious indeed) Thank's Erel and Agraham

Louis

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi. How can I get rid of the MyProject class that keeps showing up in my Visual Basic.net project? I'm using Visual Studio 2008, and because there is already a DLL added that has a MyProject class in it Basic4ppc says that a key with myproject was added. Thanks.