How to create arbitrary tone ?

Ottilein

Hi there,

is there any way with Basic4Android to make it emit a sound of arbitrary frequency (meaning, I don't want to have pre-recorded sound files) and duration?:sign0163:

In some "traditional" Basic languages this would be done via e.g. a BEEP command followed by the desired frequency and duration.

Basic4Android doesn't seem to support any equivalent command.

I am looking for this feature in order to program a Morse Code generating app and for this purpose I need to stay flexible regarding the audio frequency tone (must be user selectable) between e.g. 500Hz and lets say 1000 Hz as well as variable duration in milliseconds (in order to be able to generate variable user selectable speeds of the morse code dashes and dots and silent breaks inbetween)...

It's simply not practical or near to impossible to do this with prerecorded WAV's or you would end up in a huge WAV collection for all frequency/speed combinations.

It seems to be possible in Android to do so, see example here:
http://marblemice.blogspot.com/2010/04/generate-and-play-tone-in-android.html

As far as I can interprete this code it calculates a sine wave tone "on the fly" at the desired frequency into a buffer array and uses that buffer data to generate and play it as a PCM stream.

Since aboves code seems to be quite simple I wonder if a clever Java programming guy would come up with a simple Basic4Android "Tone Generator" library which others could use for this purpose?

Unfortunately, I am only an old fashioned VisualBasic guy and making my first steps with Basic4Android...for creating my own library my skills are simply too lousy.

Thanks for any hints and ideas,

Otti

Ottilein

Sorry, just realized by mistake that I posted it into Basic4PPC forum instead of Basic4Android and I cant find a MOVE or DELETE function....

I hope some Admin can move it over?

Otti

Upvote 0