Android Question How to delete all SMS in one shot -no select all option in Android 9

kps

Hello everyone,

My default SMS app (in Xiomi Mi A1 -Android v9) does not have a select all option for deleting all SMS in one go.

I have to manually select one by one, to delete.
There must be a few thousands of messages by now.

Is there a way to delete it by code ?

I have no such problem with Redmi Note 4 which runs MIUI 10.2

Why such an elementary feature is not provided in Android?

Regards,
KPS

drgottjr

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
google gives android to phone manufacturers. they do what they want with it. numerous cases mentioned here of manufacturers' not supporting a given feature. there's always a factory reset. then write your own sms app, make it the default and no more concerns about messages.

Upvote 0

kps

then write your own sms app,

@Erel
You can create a new app

Well, that's exactly what I wanted to do but I had no clue !
Couldn't find any example or code snippet.

That is why, I had asked about this in #1 itself.
Probably, I had not conveyed my intention properly.
Is there a way to delete it by code ?

Regards,
KPS

P.S
I have already tried the deleteSMS example using SMSPlus library of https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/smsplus-libinclude-delete-sms.19380/
The deleteSMS function seems to return TRUE always, irrespective of the ID that is passed to it. It doesn't seem to delete anything.
The interesting thing is that its READ function works well. It has read all my 1175 messages !

Last edited:
Upvote 0

emexes

Expert
Licensed User
Why such an elementary feature is not provided in Android?
I agreed, that does seem odd.

Looked at three different Android phones here, running 7.0, 5.1.1 and 4.2.2 and the default sms app, and all could delete all messages in one stroke using menu commands like "Delete all threads" and "Delete conversations" + "Mark All".

If you post a screen dump of your Android message app main screen and menu, perhaps what is not obvious to us will be obvious to others.

Upvote 0

emexes

Expert
Licensed User
Your phone does have messages to delete, right? Perhaps if there are no messages, then the menu command is not offered.

Upvote 0

emexes

Expert
Licensed User
I have already tried the deleteSMS example using SMSPlus library of https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/smsplus-libinclude-delete-sms.19380/
The deleteSMS function seems to return TRUE always, irrespective of the ID that is passed to it. It doesn't seem to delete anything.
The subsequent posts on that thread agree with you, and the reason seems to be:

1596078094078.png

Reactions: kps
Upvote 0