Android Question How to make a simple help page

marcick

Licensed User
Longtime User
looks like it isn't so simple ....
I want to show in a scrollview a simple text document with titles in bold that describe the functioning of the various commands of the app.
Something like

Button1: do this and that
Button2: delete bla bla bla and come back to bla bla bla
Etc ....

or better like this
  1. Button1: do this and that
  2. Button2: delete bla bla bla and come back to bla bla bla
With TextView I have a fixed font for all the text. Which workaround to obtain this ?

BlueVision

Licensed User
Longtime User
A very simple way...
Simply write the operating instructions or the help section of your app in MS Word. Format the background colour, fonts, font sizes and text colours there. Use the hyperlink function to quickly navigate to other places in the document.
Save this Word file as an original and as an HTML file. Make sure that you use UTF-8 as the encoding when saving with HTML under Extras, Web Extras, Encoding (this setting is normally saved by Word with the document). This avoids problems in the display of special characters.
When you start your app, load the HTML file from the assets into a webview. Done.

Advantage:
You can quickly keep the in-app documentation up to date; even a FAQ section or a version history are conceivable. All you have to do is open the HTML file with Word and save it.

Disadvantage:
It is not so easy to integrate pictures.

Upvote 0

marcick

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks. I did it some days ago but I got a blank page in the webview (again: tested on B4i). Also I can't find the HTML options in my version of Word (the last updated of Office 365)

Upvote 0