Android Question How to record by bluetooth mic?

dreamworld

Licensed User
Longtime User
As far as I know, the mic of bluetooth devices can only make phone call. It can not be used to record sound.
Is there a way to record sound by bluetooth mics?

Indy

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Erel,

Assuming the device does allow recording from BT, how do we acheive this? I actually have a requirement of an app which needs to record from BT. I have used AudioRecorder lib to test the mic recording, which works fine, however, there's no mention of BT. Will that just happen automatically if the headset is paried?

Thanks

Upvote 0

Indy

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Erel,

I had a look at the developer page as you suggested, however, I can't figure out which constant it is. Could you please advise? I've built my app and everything is working perfectly, just need to add the BT part.

Thanks

Upvote 0

Indy

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Erel,

I don't think I have a grasp on this, I must be missing something. I set the default as you suggested but still no Bluetooth recording, it was still being picked up from the mic. Am I supposed to setup some sort BT connection from code? I took a look at your Walkie Talkie app and didn't see anything in there to do with setting the recording source, there was lots of code regarding BT setup and pairing. Is that what I'm missing?

Thanks

Upvote 0

Indy

Licensed User
Longtime User
I checked by using an app call Tape Recorder and it worked, recorded from my Bluetooth device, so yes, my device is supported. Not sure how to proceed. I'm running out of things to try. Anything you can recommend I try?

Thanks

Upvote 0

Indy

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Erel,

I've made a discovery. When I use the Tape Recorder app to initialise the bluetooth and then go back to my app, the recording works over the headset. Then when I stop my recording and go back to do another it doesn't work. Again, if I use the other app to initialise the recording works on my app. It's almost like as if the BT isn't being initialised by my app or the streamer object is not being released properly. Would you have any idea/thoughts about this?

Thanks

Upvote 0

Indy

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Erel,

I found the same bit of code else where and once I added it, it worked perfectly! I can now switch on/off the BT recording at will, which is exactly what I wanted to acheive.

Thanks for your help.

Upvote 0