B4J Question How to replace "OpenJDK Platform binary" menu item displayed in Windows taskbar with actual B4J application EXE name?

m4.s

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Erel,

I followed same steps you provided to the member in this thread:

B4J Question - "OpenJDK Platform binary" still displayed in Action Center Notifications List | B4X Programming Forum

but they did NOT resolve my similar/related issue (re: application name displayed in Windows taskbar.

My Resource Hacker change is shown here:

Note* I rubbed out my application name in screenshot, but did replace "OpenJDK Platform binary" with it for 'FileDescription' value.

1606868329378.png

I then saved and copied the RH-edited EXE to my application installation path's 'bin' sub-folder (replacing original), but still get this in the Windows [10] taskbar when running root install folder's wrapper EXE:

1606868590552.png

So, not sure what I'm doing wrong. Any tips will be appreciated!

Thanks

m4.s

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks Erel. Note sure if pressing the Play ( |> ) button or the laptop restart I performed did the trick, but my RH-edited application name now displays in place of the undesired default.

However, when I start my application from its shortcut which I pinned to the taskbar, a second application icon displays in the taskbar (vs. getting the shaded box and underscore for the originally pinned icon). Further, if I pin that second icon instance to the taskbar, a shortcut is created for it that tries to open the bin folder's EXE instead. Both behaviors are obviously undesirable too.

An important point: I use the B4J 'Build Standalone Package' tool to build my application EXE, and then run its generated Inno Script Studio script file to build the application's installation setup.

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
The "real" executable is the one in the bin folder. The first executable is a small utility that launches the second (bin) executable with the correct configuration. The result is that if you create a shortcut to the running executable then it will not work (unless you modify its properties and set the arguments as needed).

Upvote 0