Android Question How to stream videos from Google Drive to Android app

Indic Software

Licensed User
Hello,

I have a need to build an app that will allow user to watch videos which are stored on Google Drive (I have purchased 2 TB space on Google Drive) in their Android app.

Here I do not want to share the video files so sharing of video files is not enabled.

How can we stream videos from Google Drive to Android app when the video files are not shared?

If anyone has experience in this please guide me.

One more question: Accessing files on Google Drive from app running on multiple devices possible?

Regards,

Yogesh

Indic Software

Licensed User
Here is what I have found on other development tools help section, which means that there are ways to access files on Google Drive.
The "Google Documents List" service will no longer be accessible from April 2015.

From now on, only the "Drive" API can be used. Using this API in your applications requires:
  • the declaration of the application in the Google console,
  • the activation of "Drive" API in the Google console.

Regards,

Upvote 0

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I hope I can access it using some kind of Google Drive API
Sure. Google provides different Apis.
For android you should use their Rest Api.

On further investigation I found this project on GitHub: https://github.com/chopraaa/google-drive-stream
I don´t think this is relevant on Android as it is a javascript solution.

Upvote 0

Indic Software

Licensed User
Sure. Google provides different Apis.
For android you should use their Rest Api.
Thank you for the link. On studying it I feel it give all support for file management on Google Drive but I am not able to find anyway by which we can get a file to stream from Google Drive.

Regards,

Upvote 0

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
You can probably create a shareurl from a file and use it maybe in exoplayer to play it.
Maybe you need to download the file first to the device to play it.

I don´t know - and don´t think - whether GoogleDrive implements a Videostreaming.

You may need to use a videostreaming-provider to stream something.

Upvote 0