B4J Question How to use an .ocx library?

vecino

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello, a customer tells me: "I have a fingerprint reader that only comes with an .ocx library and I want to use it".
With B4A and mainly with B4J can I make use of the library? How?
Thank you.

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Usually an .ocx file is a Windows ActiveX control library. You cannot use it with B4A. I suppose it might be usable in B4J if you can find a way for Java to implement a COM (Component Object Model) interface to the library but I wouldn't hold out much hope for that.

Upvote 0

vecino

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks folks, I'm going to ask the customer for more information, see if it's possible to get another way to access that device.

Upvote 0

vecino

Licensed User
Longtime User
Silly questions:
How do I recognize a java sdk?
What is the extension of a java sdk?
How do I use it from B4J?
Thank you.

In this case the customer has bought that device "from the Chinese" and says that it has no brand and only brings an "ocx", I will ask him to send me pictures to see if I can find the manufacturer's website and they have more information.
Thanks again.

Upvote 0

tchart

Licensed User
Longtime User
ocx is 20 year old technology, it is actively blocked by most browsers nowadays.

A java library would normally be delivered as a jar file (or many jar files).

Upvote 0

vecino

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks folks, my customer is going to send me the fingerprint reader, when I get my hands on it I will investigate further.

Upvote 0

tchart

Licensed User
Longtime User
Also from one of those links - the topic is 11 years old. Its probably cheaper/easier just to buy a new fingerprint reader TBH

1630317227622.png

Upvote 0