Android Question How to work with a hosted free SQL db (phpMyAdmin available)

walt61

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi gang,

I'm writing an app (a lists manager) for which users can store their data in a local SQLite db, but would also like to offer the possibility of having them sign up for a free SQL db (I mention phpMyAdmin as I saw that being mentioned in some posts on the forum) like www.freesqldatabase.com or www.freemysqlhosting.net (but to name a few) and then create the necessary tables in the app if necessary, and allow concurrent access for multiple users. They would then enter the URL, user ID, and password (I presume) in the app's preferences.

In other words, the app can work standalone, but can (if possible) also work with a shared db (a friend said 'wow that would be handy if I could share the data with my hubby so that we know who has taken care of what').

How would I be able to use such a hosted SQL db in my app? I've trawled the forum but didn't find an obvious solution. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

walt61

walt61

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks a lot JM, I did come across those and would definitely go down that road if I were to use one db for the app. In this case however it would be the app's users who would sign up for a hosted db, and I think it would be too complicated for the average user to setup server side php scripts. I was hoping there would be some way of connecting to such a db without requiring any end user actions besides signing up for one and providing the login info. I should probably rethink this and at least consider making the setup as easy as possible for the end user - back to the drawing board :)

Upvote 0

JTmartins

Licensed User
Longtime User
Actually I was looking for this one.

If you search the forum for Mysql there may be some examples of remote connections...although the security is close to none...it may serve your purposes.

Upvote 0

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
There are also chargeable alternatives like the MSMySQL or MsMariaDB Connectors.

Also note RDC and jRDC. These are suggested by Erel.

Last edited:
Upvote 0