Android Question How would you solve it?

Cadenzo

Licensed User
Longtime User
The situation: a class room with 10-30 students, every one has a tablet, could be android or iOS.
The teacher also has one and there could be a TV with android TV-Box in the room.
So every student should solve some tasks in real time or just chat together and ask questions via tablet. This are clients, the teachers one or the TV-Box could be the server.

How would you set the communication? TCP, let's say with MQTT? This was my first thinking, because I already did some projects with MQTT and MQTT Broker for android. On the other hand, bluetooth could also be the way. I never did something with BLE2 lib, would be a good experience. Somewhere I read, that it could be better, for android and iOS talking together. But how many clients I can connect with BT and could be the distance (5-10 m to the server) a problem?

How would you solve it?

Sandman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The situation: a class room with 10-30 students, every one has a tablet, could be android or iOS.
The teacher also has one and there could be a TV with android TV-Box in the room.
So every student should solve some tasks in real time or just chat together and ask questions via tablet. This are clients, the teachers one or the TV-Box could be the server.

I find this description very difficult to understand. Exactly what is it that you want to achieve?

It could also be useful to get some general context. Such as, can one assume that the class room has a stable wifi connection to the internet?

Upvote 0

Cadenzo

Licensed User
Longtime User
I find this description very difficult to understand. Exactly what is it that you want to achieve?
An app, that connects some people in a room (max 20-30), so that they can just chat together. A stable wifi connection to the internet should not be a need as it should be a local solution. MQTT or BT or even something else? What would be the plus and the minus of this?

Upvote 0

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
An app, that connects some people in a room (max 20-30), so that they can just chat together. A stable wifi connection to the internet should not be a need as it should be a local solution. MQTT or BT or even something else? What would be the plus and the minus of this?
Are we aware in today's world we need to use device to communicate instead of face to face? It is like I need to text my girlfriend who is sitting right in front of me in a restaurant during our date. :)

Upvote 0

BillMeyer

Licensed User
Longtime User
I think the solution you need is the "Talk Library".

It has an excellent command syntax, is very fast, has an intelligent processing cache and is used and understood by most "devices" and makes very good use of NLP and has engaging voice and conversational interfaces.

Good luck with your project.

Upvote 0

Cadenzo

Licensed User
Longtime User
Are we aware in today's world we need to use device to communicate instead of face to face?
Believe me, they will talk face to face. I called it just "chat", because I wanted to set the focus on the technical solution. But the app is more a tool that makes lessons more fun and game like.

I think the solution you need is the "Talk Library".
This sounds very interesting. Is that a B4X lib? I could not find anything about it.

Upvote 0

Cadenzo

Licensed User
Longtime User
I think the solution you need is the "Talk Library"
The Talk Library is not reliable enough, especially, if you mix male and female OS. I am testing it with my wife already 12 years. Sometimes the transmitted data never arrives. Or they arrive in a wrong context.

It will be difficult to implement such solution with Bluetooth.
What is the disadvantage of using Bluetooth in this case?

Upvote 0

iCAB

Licensed User
Longtime User
I believe the best 2 options are:
1. Websockets
2. Firebase messaging

I would prefer websockets with a B4J server in the middle, however you will need to create some additional logic to route the traffic.
This will be your best option.

Upvote 0