HTC Screen resolution problem

jgm

Licensed User
Hi,

I recently acquired a HTC Touch Diamond2 PDA which has a 3.2" screen with 480x800.

I copied to the HTC a simple program I did in my iPaq (240x320 screen) and was expecting to see the space corresponding to 240x320 fitting in a small area of my HTC.

I found that the screen I got is unreadable with Labels and TextBoxes that seem to have been moved and are now overlapping.

The two attached files show the screen as it appeared on the desktop and on the HTC.

Couldn't find out what is happening ...

Attachments

• HTC_01.jpg
    HTC_01.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 226
  • HTC_02.jpg
    HTC_02.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 247

jgm

Licensed User
I've attached the file FlexsimT_.sbp with the source code.

Attachments

• FlexsimT_.sbp
    12.4 KB · Views: 177

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
There is nothing wrong with your code. You don't say if the screenshot is running in the device IDE or is compiled so -

Device IDEs

There are two device IDEs called "Basic4ppc.exe" and "Basic4ppc-VGA.exe".

"Basic4ppc" is for code written for a screen size of 240 x 320 and this IDE will display such an application correctly even on a non-QVGA device. Your program running in this IDE looks OK on my HTC Diamond (original, not 2) as it is being upscaled to the device resolution.

"Basic4ppc-VGA" is for code written assuming the native resolution of the device. Your program running in this IDE looks like your screenshot as it is being drawn in a 240 x 320 area of the screen. It looks odd because controls are specified in pixels but fonts are specified as an actual size so the controls are small but the fonts are normal size so it looks odd.

Optimised compiling

If you optimised compiled your application for the device using File->Compile->Device EXE then when run on your device it will also look like your screenshot as it is being drawn at 240 x 320 resolution. This compilation mode draws the application at whatever resolution it was designed for. To take advantage of your VGA screen you would need to code your application assuming the screen resolution of your device.

If you optimised compiled your application for the device using File->Compile->Device (Auto Scale) EXE then when run on your device it should look OK as this compilation mode takes an application coded for 240 x 320 resolution and adapts it to whatever screen it runs on.

klaus

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
You should compile your program with the Device (Auto Scale) EXE option, then you get the right display.

Attached 2 screenshots from my HTC Touch HD.
First : Device (Auto Scale) EXE compiled
Second : Device EXE compiled

Best regards.

Attachments

• AutoScale1.jpg
    AutoScale1.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 196
  • Normal1.jpg
    Normal1.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 186

cdeane

You should compile your program with the Device (Auto Scale) EXE option, then you get the right display.

I recantly bought a iPAQ 211 with same problem.
I have B4PPC 6.3 with no Device (Auto Scale) EXE option,do I need to upgrade?