I had to laugh...

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I had to laugh a bit by myself earlier today:)

Why? In the other thread, a user has (and others before him) this great idea to pilot the Flash and use the phone as a torch. Although I believe the light bulb (built into the flash and the phone) was not designed for this purpose and it will probably burn out and break if it remains enabled for a long time but still it is great idea and shows how we humans try to find solutions and tweaks to overcome problems or make as much possible out of the resources we have available to us.

Hopefully, the phone-producers can add a regular light bulb on future devices so the phones may be used as a torch. The idea is good and normally we have the phone always with us and it is often within reach in case we need some light in the darkness. I have seen another solution over at XDA where a user wrote an application, for devices without a flash, that simply increases the power of the screen light. I tried it and it works well. :)

Probably the next release of the iPhone will have an incorporated lamp since they seem to be always a step ahead.

In this regard, the other day it struck me that the iPhone introduced another cool feature, namely a compass. I was on the roof, installing a new satellite-dish and I desperately needed to get a good and precise direction where South was located. I had a normal compass with me so I managed to get South right but still, if I had an iPhone, there would have been no need for an ordinary compass. Now, I just read that Samsung Omnia 2 has a built-in compass as well but there is no API for it.

Now, I want a bottle-opener on my device!

What about you? Have you seen any incredible applications that "emulate" stuff which is not present on our devices? Do you have any good ideas what to add to future devices?

Last edited:

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
How about a ruler? :)

pruler-small.png

pRuler 1.2 - Ruler for Windows Mobile | pocket pc freeware, windows mobile apps review, wm6.5 software

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Haha - I like this ruler:)

Real cool and innovative. Even more useful in these days when all devices are being furnished with larger screens.

Any more "particular" applications out there?