Bug? IDE freeze and then error saving project - crash

CaptKronos

Licensed User
I have just experienced the IDE freezing. (I think I was compiling an app in debug mode). After waiting maybe 30 seconds I started clicking the IDE's close button (x) which didn't seem to do much. I was about to reach for the task manager when I noticed the attached error message. I'm not sure if it had just popped-up or had been hidden by another window. I experienced a similar lock-up a couple of weeks ago though I didn't notice the error message at that time. The Designer window was open at the time of today's crash. I'm not sure if it was open at the time of the first crash. I'm using 10.2 on a fairly powerful PC with 16GB Ram. Anyway, I'll start running the IDE with the -log flag and let you know if this happens again.

error message.jpg

CaptKronos

Licensed User
After 6 weeks the IDE locked up again. I have attached the log that was produced from running the ide with the -log flag. There are several out of memory errors e.g.:
System.OutOfMemoryException: Insufficient memory to continue the execution of the program.
at System.Windows.Media.Composition.DUCE.Channel.SyncFlush()
at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.UpdateWindowSettings(Boolean enableRenderTarget, Nullable`1 channelSet)
at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.UpdateWindowPos(IntPtr lParam)
at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.HandleMessage(WindowMessage msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.HwndTargetFilterMessage(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)
I don't think I was doing anything with the IDE when it locked up. My guess is that it has something to do with the IDE's auto backup.

Attachments

• log.zip
    68 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User

CaptKronos

Licensed User
Thanks for that pointer. I do have VS installed though it wasn't running when this lock up occurred. However I do have some WPF apps running. It is strange that B4A seems to be the only app that locks up.

sfsameer

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks for that pointer. I do have VS installed though it wasn't running when this lock up occurred. However I do have some WPF apps running. It is strange that B4A seems to be the only app that locks up.
am facing the same problem as well, but it's not from B4A.
it all depends on my project size, i have a project that am working on and the project size is 410MB without the assets folder
it contains more than 793 activities + modules + services

and when ever i start working on the project it hangs alot but when i work on smaller projects it works fine.

When you run B4A another process also runs in the task manager : JAVA
1611058344326.png

so the cause is from JAVA huge memory consumption

at least that what happens in my case :)

BTW My PC Specs :
32GB RAM
1SSD hard disk
Core i7 9th generation

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Careful reading of that thread indicates it may not be a VS problem. For what is's worth my hypothesis is that your WPF apps are already running and have acquired all the memory they need, but B4A requires varying amounts of memory depending on what it is doing and so is the one to suffer when memory runs out.

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
it contains more than 793 activities + modules + services

and when ever i start working on the project it hangs alot but when i work on smaller projects it works fine.

When you run B4A another process also runs in the task manager : JAVA
This is not related to the issue reported here. The issue reported here is related to the display driver.
If you are working with very large projects then it is worth disabling auto backup, which will cause the IDE to freeze until it completes when it runs (every 10 minutes).

sfsameer

Licensed User
Longtime User
This is not related to the issue reported here. The issue reported here is related to the display driver.
If you are working with very large projects then it is worth disabling auto backup, which will cause the IDE to freeze until it completes when it runs (every 10 minutes).
No matter how much someone thinks he knows, there is always someone who's knows more, especially the creator of the B4X 😂

I just disabled it and it works like a charm! 😍