IDE needs Save AS for existing file.

positrom2

Licensed User
Longtime User
I agree totally. Some others and myself had asked for that feature a couple of times. It is really a desaster to keep track of different development stages of the app. One reason is the missing "save as". It is a pain to execute the proposed work-around solutions (exporting to zip, copying to a new folder, renaming, or using a version-tracking system, and whatever). Another reason is the (to me) confusing looking naming relation between the b4a file and the naming of the app. It would be nice if the app would somehow reflect the name of the Ide-file, but apparently it does not. In addition, the purpose of the "Package name" and of the "Label" remains in dark to me. Certainly that is explained somewhere...Why not naming the app as it appears on the phone the same as the Ide file?

Sorry that this now comes up now again. But I am figthing all the times with this issue and the productivity is low, in especially when one continues the development after one week or two, when one has forgotten in which directory one was working latest. Or, if a collegue was helping in coding and returns the file...
Regards, positrom2

positrom2

Licensed User
Longtime User
What do you expect Save as to do?
For the time being, just giving the Ide file a new name from within the Ide. Would be a relief -the more if that would be reflected in the app.

Exporting as zip is a separate nice feature, not that helpful as "Save as" since everybody knows how to zip a folder.
Regards, positrom2

positrom2

Licensed User
Longtime User
There is no "IDE file".
I was referring to the file with .b4a extension. Why won't that help? If I do changes on that file and save it with a new name in the same directory, keeping the previous one, I could work with it since most of the changes I do are on the .b4a file. This would help as long as the whole project folder couldn't be saved under a new name, that being same as for the new .b4a file I would suggest.
Regards, positrom2

positrom2

Licensed User
Longtime User
Giving up. Seems to be difficult. 95% of time I am working on the b4a file.
Regards, positrom2