Android Question Install app from another application

wes58

Licensed User
Longtime User
I wanted to install an app from another application. I came across this thread https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/version-safe-apk-installation.87667/.
I have tried to follow anexample in this thread, but the result from the Sub CanRequestPackageInstalls was always false, even if installation of applications from unknown sources was enabled.

I had a look at https://developer.android.com/refer...ckageManager.html#canRequestPackageInstalls(), and it turns out, that according to this page: An application must target Android O or higher and declare permission Manifest.permission.REQUEST_INSTALL_PACKAGES in order to use this API.

In the example, there is a following code:
B4X:
Private Sub CheckInstallationRequirements As ResumableSub
    If File.ExternalWritable = False Then
        MsgboxAsync("Storage card not available. Make sure that your device is not connected in USB storage mode.", "")
        Return False
    Else If phone.SdkVersion >= 26 And CanRequestPackageInstalls = False Then
        MsgboxAsync("Please allow me to install applications.", "")
        Wait For Msgbox_Result(Result As Int)
        Dim in As Intent
        in.Initialize("android.settings.MANAGE_UNKNOWN_APP_SOURCES", "package:" & Application.PackageName)
        StartActivity(in)
        Wait For Activity_Resume '<-- wait for Activity_Resume
        Dim b As Boolean = CanRequestPackageInstalls
        Log("CanRequestPackageInstalls " & b)
        Return b
    Else If CheckNonMarketAppsEnabled = False Then
        MsgboxAsync("Please enable installation of non-market applications." & CRLF & "Under Settings - Security - Unknown sources" _
             & CRLF & "Or Settings - Applications - Unknown sources", "")
        Return False
    Else
        Return True
    End If
End Sub

Private Sub CanRequestPackageInstalls As Boolean
    Dim ctxt As JavaObject
    ctxt.InitializeContext
    Dim PackageManager As JavaObject = ctxt.RunMethod("getPackageManager", Null)
    Return PackageManager.RunMethod("canRequestPackageInstalls", Null)
End Sub
The code is looking at phone.SdkVersion >= 26, which is OS build version (which on my phone is Android 9), not a Target SDK (which is declared in the Manifest) as per android PackageManager documentation.
And that was an error in this Sub.
I had Target SDK set to be lower than 26, and that's why CanRequestPackageInstalls always returned false.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…