Share My Creation Invaders - Mars Defender (Android)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=uk.co.coffeeinducedgames.marsdefender

Hello B4X community!I have released my latest game! Invaders: Mars Defender for Android!

It's a Space Invaders inspired shooter, but with weapon powerups and boss levels.

It uses the libgdx library to allow for smooth 60 fps graphics, and some nice special effects.
Top ten high score table, local scores only for the moment.
Four weapon types (new beam weapon)
Boss levels.
Collect gems to increase powerups times.

Have fun and remember to comment with bugs, thoughts and feature requests! :)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=uk.co.coffeeinducedgames.marsdefender

Screenshot_20171006-164308.jpg

freedom2000

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have just tested the new release --> excellent. Ads are no longer annoying while still present

I gave you 5 stars !

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
with this technique you will be very soon a millionaire :D
i guess its a punishment for losing the game?! o_O

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
you can see the jumping I was talking about in Ilan's video.

andymc

Licensed User
Longtime User
Haha, now I know where 200 ad impressions came from yesterday Ilan! :)

I've been working on the bosses. There's three bosses and now they have different behaviours
boss 1, after the aliens are killed, it will drop down, move faster and drop bombs faster
boss 2, enemies respawn until the boss is killed.
boss 3, fires beam weapon at players ship if all aliens are killed, otherwise drops bombs similar to first boss type, also moves faster and in zigzag motion after aliens killed

The other thing I'm working on is balancing the gameplay at higher levels, at some points, if you have the beam weapon then you can plow through levels too quickly, I'm going to nerf the weapon times a bit and make weapon powerups less probable when you're already geared up. I'm also changing the gems to release less gems and to release them from the saucers and not so much from the aliens.

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Haha, now I know where 200 ad impressions came from yesterday Ilan!

at least i am in first place :p

I've been working on the bosses. There's three bosses and now they have different behaviours
boss 1, after the aliens are killed, it will drop down, move faster and drop bombs faster
boss 2, enemies respawn until the boss is killed.
boss 3, fires beam weapon at players ship if all aliens are killed, otherwise drops bombs similar to first boss type, also moves faster and in zigzag motion after aliens killed

Great!!

I'm going to nerf the weapon times a bit and make weapon powerups less probable when you're already geared up.

NO!!

please keep the blue laser weapon as is. its so fun to kill from time to time so much aliens.
its also cool to see so many things at ones. lot of explosion lot of gems lot of particles. so keep this extreme mode.

what you could do is this. if you remember Mario Kart you could pick up power-ups and they did something smart. if you were in place 1 you never get a rocket because there is no one in front of you to shoot him so you get a banana or oil to hold the opponents behind you. and if you were at the last place you always get a rocket or something that will harm the players in front of you. what i am saying is this. there is no need to get a "Life" when you already have 5 lives and there is no need to get a simple weapon when the aliens are very near to you and you almost die in few seconds. so if you have 1 life it will make sense to give a life powerup to the player and if the alines are 2 lines far from the player give him a laser powerup this will give the player a chance to get far.

it will require some thinking and lots of if statements but start with 2-3 smart powerups dropping and you will see that it will make the game more fun.

dont make the game to hard. i like when i am in 1st place! o_O:p

another thing i would consider is putting a PAUSE button in the game and also put somewhere the Highscore of the player.
i can see the high score in the list but i cannot see whats my high score.

it would be nice to know in the game when i have passed my high score with a nice msg in the background popping up with alpha 0.5 so the player knows he passed his high score.

btw my kids also play your game they like it a lot so you are targeting also 8 years old you need to take that into account

good luck :) (this is your best space shooter in my opinion)

andymc

Licensed User
Longtime User
Well done Ilan, I like your suggestions, thank you for putting them forward. I'll do the best I can to do them all.

Have you played Galaga wars? I am aiming to copy that style of play with full screen movement for the ship and lots of different enemy types for my next game.

Mars Defender has now had 162 installs since I released it last Friday with 96 active installs :) That's much more than my last two games picked up in there first week!

Last edited:

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Well done Ilan, I like your suggestions, thank you for putting them forward. I'll do the best I can to do them all.

Have you played Galaga wars? I am aiming to copy that style of play with full screen movement for the ship and lots of different enemy types for my next game.

Yes i did. I even have it on my nes mini.
I like galaga i was also thinking of making such a game but for ios using ispritekit

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I am too good for this game :cool:

Screenshot_20171016-223741-270x555.png

EDIT: i did a new record. above 40.000 points i think wave 63 or something like that i just failed to take a screenshot on my s8 but i am the one with the >40k score !! ;)

i like this game :)

Last edited:

andymc

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks for you support Ilan! :) I'm happy you like the game.
I do feel like the game gets a little too crazy and unbalanced above level 10, so I am balancing it a little.
There will be an update later today or maybe tomorrow to add the following (version quick notes)
'version 1.5
'stop gems going off screen
'remove aliens on bosstype 2 after boss dies if aliens not on screen
'balanced bullet speeds to all match
'reduced triple shot side bullets to slower vertical speed
'updated boss 1 screen to make aliens drop in in a wave from left to right and boss drop down after aliens killed
'updated boss 2 behaviour, aliens respawn when boss dies

I've also fixed weapon powerups so you can't just keep adding more time and having over a minute of the beam weapon and just ploughing through ten levels at a time. I've reduced the gem drop rate, improved the boss behaviors.
I'm also going to increase boss health based on level number and randomize the boss encountered after level 8 as right now it's always the same boss.

andymc

Licensed User
Longtime User
478 downloads and 267 active. Not bad. I'm going to go work on my next game for the next few weeks and leave this to built up some momentum on the Play Store. It's in the arcade trending list so I'm happy with that. I've also uploaded a gameplay video to youtube and added a post on my blog: www.coffeeinducedgames.co.uk for it.