Is anyone working for a company/client that will use Basic4Android vs Eclipse?

Rick in North Carolina

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm searching for contract work here in the usa and so far all the android positions call for java/eclipse. I'm going to try and convince any who will listen that Basic4Android is the way to go, especially if they have .Net programmers then it would be an easy transition for them.

Is anybody doing contract work for clients (like corporate work) that is ok with Basic4Android?

Rick

Smee

Licensed User
Longtime User
I am doing something similar.
The best way to go is just show them a few of your finished apps and say here it is what does it matter what it is written in as long as it is contract work and the software is of a high standard.

Upvote 0

peacemaker

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Me too. Customer is pretty satisfied and also ordered B4A licence for future jobs.

Upvote 0

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
why not only license your contracted work? I mean, with most software you buy, you don't get any sources, you pay for a license (the right to use the software). So, how the app was developed is of no importance.

if they want sources, then the price would be different and hey, you could buy a B4A-license from Erel i/n/o of your client and include it in the price.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rick in North Carolina

Licensed User
Longtime User
Let me ask the question another way......

In the past when I would do .Net programming, I would search Dice.com, careerbuilder.com, etc.... for contract .Net jobs. Now I'm trying that with Android, but the requirements on the job are java/eclipse. So how are you guys/gals finding jobs/clients since the traditional way (at least for me) does not ask for Basic4Android?

Upvote 0

bluedude

Licensed User
Longtime User
I think language debates will always be there (VB.NET vs c#) but in the end it does not really matter. What matters to customers is that they have backup resources when you park your car against a tree :)

Available B4A skills can be a problem. I also have the feeling it would be good to host a forum in here that lists people that are available for commercial jobs/work.

I asked a few times around in here but it seems most people develop stuff for their own business or to release something for consumers.

I personally do/done some commercial work (Mobile operators) and have plans in the future to extend it when i'm ready with a blueprint/template on which I can base all my apps. Included in that blueprint is: backend UI, backend API, scalable storage and app. templates.

And yes, I would be seeking people who can take over when needed.

Upvote 0

peacemaker

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Most serious IT customers need a project with a standard possibility to improve it later - it means Java\Eclipse developers and the source code.

If project is another, with aim to have just an .apk result - yes, just b4A is OK for all.
But such task is usually from not so serious customers with good money perspective.

Upvote 0

bluedude

Licensed User
Longtime User
I worked for big companies that used very exotic systems :) Very serious customers do this too without having source code. Actually, the bigger the company the more likely they have this problem.

B4A is great to use because it can lower the costs for creating an app. As long as there are enough available developers there are no issues. Currently that is an issue however. There isn't a list of B4A developers although there seems to be a community of 16000 developers.
I worry about this too and it could move me away from B4A in the end. I already had a discussion on this internally and I couldn't give a good answer.

Most customers would indeed like the source code but not to do it themselves.

And BTW, every new "code wizard tool" will start out with nothing and needs to gain supporters. It just needs a chance to gain mass.

In the end even the big players like Appcelerator have their own way of creating code and nobody complains. What worries me more is what happens when Erel would decide to stop this business :)

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
Basic4android does create Java code. The code is available under Objects\src.
You can take this code and add it to a regular Eclipse project (you will also need to reference Core.jar and B4AShared.jar).

I'm not writing it as a solution to missing features. In that case it is better to create a library and add it to your B4A project. This is however a possible solution for migration from Basic4android to Java.

What worries me more is what happens when Erel would decide to stop this business :)

Don't worry it is a good business ;)

Upvote 0

rleiman

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi,

Please also include me in because I'm an unemployed Oracle pl/sql developer who started (discovered) B4A but can't find contracts or a perm job using the best Android programming language out there.

Erel,
Please open up a new section on the forum for use to use B4A to get employed.

I think language debates will always be there (VB.NET vs c#) but in the end it does not really matter. What matters to customers is that they have backup resources when you park your car against a tree :)

Available B4A skills can be a problem. I also have the feeling it would be good to host a forum in here that lists people that are available for commercial jobs/work.

I asked a few times around in here but it seems most people develop stuff for their own business or to release something for consumers.

I personally do/done some commercial work (Mobile operators) and have plans in the future to extend it when i'm ready with a blueprint/template on which I can base all my apps. Included in that blueprint is: backend UI, backend API, scalable storage and app. templates.

And yes, I would be seeking people who can take over when needed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
Please open up a new section on the forum for use to use B4A to get employed.
I don't think that the forum is the best place for such topic. LinkedIn seems to be more appropriate. I can add a link to the LinkedIn group from the forum (as done with the wiki).

If you (or any other) want to manage such a group, please go ahead and start it.

Upvote 0