Share My Creation JG Dash Automation

Screenshot_2017-01-22-11-51-24.png

Hi all,

Here is my latest creation Dash Automation : how to convert a Dash button into an IoT device

Basically the App is a simple notification Listener. It can intercept notifications an use them to trigger actions. (IFTTT, Automate, SMS, picture, location, web action, MQTT, ...)

So it works with any notification (Gmail, pushbullet, ...)

And here is the trick : if you do not finish the configuration of your amazon dash button, then a notiifcation is sent to your phone any time you push the button.

So you can convert a dash button into a "magic button" ... that's it

[edit] see below how to hack a fire alarm sensor

Last edited:

Martin Larsen

Licensed User
Longtime User
Your app looks cool. Will try it tomorrow.

I also saw your post re. dash.

I need to integrate a dash function in an app. Would you mind sharing how you did it? (It's not a competing app!)

PS. What about Tasker integration in your app?

Last edited:

freedom2000

Licensed User
Longtime User
Your app looks cool. Will try it tomorrow.

I also saw your post re. dash.

I need to integrate a dash function in an app. Would you mind sharing how you did it? (It's not a competing app!)

PS. What about Tasker integration in your app?

I have given almost everything in post 1 :
  • notification listener
  • trap of the notification sent by Amazon

That's it -> really simple

Regarding Tasker integration it would be complex as there is a "plug in interface"...

Martin Larsen

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks. I already found out in the meantime since I have been experimenting a bit with your app in the last hour.
I thought you were listening to ARP request as asked in the referred post. But I understand now that you chose another path.

Your app works fine, albeit it is a bit confusing how to use it. It was not clear to me that it can listen to and trigger on any notification, not just Dash button presses. So I simply had to wait until I saw the amazon dash notification before I press Save. Maybe you should make that a bit more clear.

Another pitfall I ran into is if another notification arrives while your are configuring the trigger actions. Then when you press save it will be that notification that will trigger the action!

Regarding tasker, I found that tasker can actually trigger on notifications already, so it can in fact run any task even without Dash Automation. But it doesn't remove the notification like your app does.

freedom2000

Licensed User
Longtime User
Your app works fine, albeit it is a bit confusing how to use it. It was not clear to me that it can listen to and trigger on any notification, not just Dash button presses. So I simply had to wait until I saw the amazon dash notification before I press Save. Maybe you should make that a bit more clear.

Another pitfall I ran into is if another notification arrives while your are configuring the trigger actions. Then when you press save it will be that notification that will trigger the action!

Regarding tasker, I found that tasker can actually trigger on notifications already, so it can in fact run any task even without Dash Automation. But it doesn't remove the notification like your app does.

Thank you for the feedback.
I will probably change the name to make it more obvious (not limited to dash buttons !)
Regarding the pitfall, I was aware of that... but shouldn't occur too often once you have configured the button (notification to trap).

freedom2000

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi again,

Here is how you can hack a Dash Button.
I recently bought a fire sensor. They are really cheap and you can find them on ebay : Home Security Standalone Smoke Detector Fire Alarm Photoelectric Sensor

fire_sensor.jpg

I have added a Dash Button into this sensor so that it becomes "internet connected"

fire_sensor_dashButton.jpg

All this fits nicely into the original box. I had just to cut a slice of the buzzer to give room to the battery !

The most surprizing is still to come :confused:
Only one wire is needed to connect the Dash Button to the board. I don't understand how it works, but it does work !

fire_sensor_dashButton_solder_small.jpg

One wire is soldered on the +bat of the physical button of the Dash BUtton"
the other side goes to the trigger signal of the buzzer. When iddle this pin is at +7V, when buzzing it is oscillating from 0 to 9V to give the "nice" 80dB of the siren...

And it does work...
Have a look at the video, and stay to the end to see that there is no trick !

Finally I track the notification coming from AWS servers with DashAutomation App.
Anytime there is a trigger of this sensor I will receive the alarm on my phone !