Share My Creation JG iTag Alarm

icon512.png JG iTag Alarm

Going on with my experiments with iBeacons, here is a "magic button" App using cheap iTags that you can find on ebay for 2$.

These devices have a cool function to automatically shut down after a "no connect" timeout.

You can thus use them to stay "powered off" safely and the batt should last very very long.

This App simply allow to follow as many tags you want and affect an alarm to each when powered on, and more.

It is based on my previous HM-10 ibeacon App, but as it can work without "private hardware" I have uploaded on the Google Play. You can find it here : iTag Alarm

1.jpg

JordiCP

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Well done!:)

Don't know much about iBeacons. How does it work? Has every iBeacon a unique identifier?

freedom2000

Licensed User
Longtime User
Well done!:)

Don't know much about iBeacons. How does it work? Has every iBeacon a unique identifier?

Thank you Jordi,

In fact these iTags are not exactly ibeacons as described by the standard.
They do not expose the key 22 which is the way how ibeacons are recognized by Erel in the BLE2 lib example.
I did filtered iTag with the key 25 and it works.

Then I found a code here iTracing2 where the developper gives the ibeacons charateristics.
I did use it to connect to the iTag and found that iTag exposes some standard characteristics : https://developer.bluetooth.org/gatt/services/Pages/ServicesHome.aspx

I do use battery service and immediate Alert service in my App.

To answer a bit more to your question, yes BLE device exposes a unique MAC address. But it also exposes iBeacon UUID.
As iTag are not exactly iBeacons, i only track them by MAC address.

Last edited:

Wolli013

Licensed User
Longtime User
Tracker Name: nut
Tracker Mac Adresse: E0:C8:6C:D2:03:CC
Tracker RSSI: -59
Tracker Zusatzdaten: (MyMap) {9=[B@f8000e6, 1=[B@1aaa627, 3=[B@d72d0d4, 22=[B@d7bb27d, 0=[B@7bb4572}
6E7574
0A18E0C86CD203CC
04096E75740201060303031809160A18E0C86CD203CC00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

freedom2000

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi,

I have uploaded a new version more permissive on the BLE keys... So could work ?
At least you should see it on the screen.
If ok, try to connect on it after setting the "follow this eBeacon" in the setting page

Tell me if better

freedom2000

Licensed User
Longtime User
Ok I see the pb.
Your tag has the 22 key which is used to distinguish Eddystones and HM-10 beacons...

Tell me what you see into the key 22 at bytes 0 and 1

I could mod the code to try to see your nut !

However, tell me also
1) if your nut can be switched on/off by the button
2) if you need a password to connect on it (BLE connection I mean)
3) Does it beep when you disconnect ?

freedom2000

Licensed User
Longtime User
Please send me a PM with your mail address
I will send you a beta version trying to consider your nut as an iTag... Should crash somewhere else ;)

Wolli013

Licensed User
Longtime User
1) if your nut can be switched on/off by the button
2) if you need a password to connect on it (BLE connection I mean)
3) Does it beep when you disconnect ?

1 = No
2 = No
3 = No

freedom2000

Licensed User
Longtime User
Arghhh...

If your nut cannot be switched on/off by the button then it means that it is always on (as most of ebeacons)

That's a pity :
1) because it drains always the bat
2) because my App needs On/Off detection to work properly

It would for sure be possible to use the service "button pushed". But as it is a non standard one it will be difficult to hack the device !

Wolli013

Licensed User
Longtime User
Quick Guide Nut
Pair your Nut
Put Nute close to your Phone press the button until it beeps and flashes Follow the guides in Nut app to finish paring.

freedom2000

Licensed User
Longtime User
I see I see... It is a "closed" system more or less as "Wistiki".
I have got one wistiki, I can see it into my App but no way to connect to it once it as been paired on the official App...

Buy an iTag it's only 2$ :)

But it is useless if you use it as an eBeacon... but so usefull with iTag Alarm :cool:

Last edited: