Share My Creation Job Recorder

Hoping one or two people might be able to test my App, look at my code and improve or suggest improvements. :sign0104: I'm not a programmer I basically look at other code and work out from that how to piece together what I want, so any help appreciated.

The idea of this app was originally just for me, but it may be useful to others so perhaps one day I'll put it on the market. :)

When I arrive on a job site I press start, which records the time. On completion of the job I press Finish which sets the time.
I can enter a title and some details, as well as mark the job as completed or not.

Finally the app will email the data off. In my case it emails to Evernote and adds it to my database. In the settings you can add text to add to the subject line. This can be used to tell Evernote which Notepad to put it in and what Tags to apply.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-03-10-18-01-03.png
    Screenshot_2013-03-10-18-01-03.png
    44.6 KB · Views: 8,254
  • JobTracker1.zip
    28.7 KB · Views: 833

tecevit

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi,
Works a s described.
I am not very experienced but, as you said, there may be unused/excess code. I can not say i fully understand the code. So, no improvements here :)

I guess you work more than a few minutes on job sites. You may want to not bind your phone/tablet.
A way to keep it running in the background an pop it up when needed might be usable.

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Interesting, I was about to write a simular thing to keep track of stuff that comes inbetween.

I tend to forget about these which means invoices (read money) get forgotten.

John316

Hi friends! I'm a newbie to android and want to become an android developer just like you. Could any one of let me know where to start. Websites, books, tutorials etc which I can access freely online. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!

tsteward

Licensed User
Longtime User

tsteward

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi,
Works a s described.
I am not very experienced but, as you said, there may be unused/excess code. I can not say i fully understand the code. So, no improvements here :)

I guess you work more than a few minutes on job sites. You may want to not bind your phone/tablet.
A way to keep it running in the background an pop it up when needed might be usable.

Any suggestion on keeping it running in the background. I don't know how.
I have set to remember fields for up to 8 hours, so would have thought this would do. If you press home you can go do other things then use the notification to come back. Sometimes it does forget info though.

Also how would I go about sending emails again later if send fails.
Perhaps needs service to do this incase the app is closed.

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
If the purpose like what you described then leaving it running is a waste of resources.
I would suggest that you log the events (in, out) in a database and close the app, and then at the end of the day (or any time you wish) you can go to that log and generate a report.

tsteward

Licensed User
Longtime User
If the purpose like what you described then leaving it running is a waste of resources.
I would suggest that you log the events (in, out) in a database and close the app, and then at the end of the day (or any time you wish) you can go to that log and generate a report.

I was thinking of heading down this path with a slight twist.
I thought I'd create a text file with job start details. Then when app is run if text file exists I must be finishing a job. Email the details and and delete the text file.

By emailing as soon as a job is finished I could send this to the work email address and they would know what I have completed.

Any more thoughts/feedback welcome. :)

pjetson

Licensed User
Longtime User
I know this thread is more than a year old, but it seemed like a good idea to post my question here. I've tried to compile and run your Job Recorder with the latest version of B4A, but it fails with a number of warnings and error messages. I can't seem to cut and paste the warnings from the IDE, but I can copy the error message:

B4X:
Error occurred on line: 65 (main)
android.content.ActivityNotFoundException: Unable to find explicit activity class {tonysteward.b4a.jobever/de.amberhome.objects.preferenceactivity}; have you declared this activity in your AndroidManifest.xml?

Any ideas on what might be causing this?

Thanks, Peter