B4J Question [ Jshell ] console application .exe is behaving strangely ...

Waldemar Lima

Licensed User
Hello, I am trying to make a way to manage instances of an .EXE software remotely, I need to run and close this application, I am trying to use JShell to manage all instances that are running so that at any time I can close them, run new ones instances or even terminate those that are running ...

but when I run it directly from the .exe executable, it works well, when I run it through JShell it doesn't work well ...

see the screenshots below:

(running directly from the executable)

1616614848937.png

(running through JShell)
1616615021790.png

1616615074633.png

am i doing something wrong?

Waldemar Lima

Licensed User
SORRY, here the project example ... i need to run : init2.exe, but it is not working properly

Attachments

• testing.zip
    20.8 KB · Views: 119
Upvote 0

Quandalle

Licensed User
When the application is launched from the shell, the output is redirected to the StdOut variable.

In your code you only read this variable when the application is stopped successfully (see controller_ProcessCompleted). However in your code you exit the application by timeout (error) and never read StdOut

If you want to read the content of the output while the application is running, you have to use for example : controller.GetTempOut

Upvote 0

Waldemar Lima

Licensed User
When the application is launched from the shell, the output is redirected to the StdOut variable.

In your code you only read this variable when the application is stopped successfully (see controller_ProcessCompleted). However in your code you exit the application by timeout (error) and never read StdOut

If you want to read the content of the output while the application is running, you have to use for example : controller.GetTempOut

interesting ...
but I noticed that I can only "read" the stdout only when the application is closed ...
can I read and write to the application's stdout and stdin using PIPE?

while application is running :

B4X:
Waiting for debugger to connect...
Program started.
Hello world!!!

while application is closed :
B4X:
Waiting for debugger to connect...
Program started.
Hello world!!!
STDOUT = Waiting 5 secs before quit...
Waiting 4 secs before quit...
Waiting 3 secs before quit...
Waiting 2 secs before quit...
Waiting 1 secs before quit...
Loop Forever now ...
Success

Upvote 0

Quandalle

Licensed User
as mentioned in my answer above : " If you want to read the content of the output while the application is running, you have to use for example : controller.GetTempOut"
so for example you add a timer, and in the timer tick event, read the GetTempOut and GetTempErr (which returns the complete content of Sdout/StdErr on each reading )
B4X:
Sub AppStart (Args() As String)
    Dim timer1 As Timer
    timer1.Initialize("Timer1", 200)
    timer1.Enabled = True

controller.Run(-1)
    StartMessageLoop
End Sub

Sub Timer1_Tick
    Log("tick :")
    Log(controller.GetTempOut)
    Log(controller.GetTempErr) ' if needed
End Sub

Another approach is to use the RunWithOutputEvents method which produces a StdOut or StdErr event whenever data is available on the standard or error output.
Example below

B4X:
Sub AppStart (Args() As String)
    controller.RunWithOutputEvents(-1)
    StartMessageLoop
End Sub

Sub controller_StdOut (Buffer() As Byte, Length As Int)
    Log("Stdout : " & BytesToString(Buffer, 0, Length, "UTF8"))
End Sub

Sub controller_StdErr (Buffer() As Byte, Length As Int)
    Log("StdErr : "& BytesToString(Buffer, 0, Length, "UTF8")
End Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0