Just found a SNES mini classic in the shop!

andymc

Licensed User
Longtime User
This console is really rare to find in shops right now, I just saw one and bought it. My initial thought was to sell it on ebay for a profit, but I feel bad doing that. I could keep it, but have no real use for it. I play games on my PC and my kids aren't old enough to play games yet.

Is it immoral to sell it on ebay for profit given how rare they are?

wonder

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
If people want to pay a lot of money for what basically is a Raspberry Pi with a pre-determined SNES Emulator plus a bunch of Roms, sure why not?

andymc

Licensed User
Longtime User
People are paying for the nostalgia factor, you do also get two full size SNES controllers with it. Also, I know it's a bunch of roms and people have got used to just downloading them to play them on emulators, but that is still ILLEGAL. Buying something like this may clear the conscious of anyone who has pirated roms in the past and felt bad about it.

wonder

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Please allow me to respectfully disagree with some of your remarks. :)

People are paying for the nostalgia factor
I fully agree.

you do also get two full size SNES controllers with it
Yes indeed, but USB SNES controllers (aftermarket) can easily be found as well.
(Okay, they're not Nintendo, you win this one!)

I know it's a bunch of roms and people have got used to just downloading them to play them on emulators, but that is still ILLEGAL
Illegal? Most likely yes. Immoral? No.
The game developers are not getting paid anymore, only the game publishers.
upload_2017-12-13_18-37-26.png

It's also worth noting that, under European law (Directive 2009/24/EC), it is okay to own a backup copy.
upload_2017-12-13_18-18-36.png
Back in 1994, I got an NES for Xmas. It came with Super Mario Bros. My dad paid for it.
As of today, I have a copy of Super Mario Bros. in every PC, phone and tablet that I own. :)

By the way, is the Internet Archive an illegal website? (https://archive.org/about/)
They have SNES roms for download: https://archive.org/download/Snes_Roms
It seems to me that the roms are being provided as public domain.

anyone who has pirated roms in the past and felt bad about it
20140908-pirate2.jpg

Last edited:

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I have also bought the SNES from Austria. It should arrive in about 2 weeks. my brother will bring it with him.
I bought it because the nostalgia factor. it brings up lot of memories and I would only sell such a piece of nostalgia If I would have 2 of them.
so there is nothing wrong to sell it as long as you keep 1 for you. in 10 years it will be worth much more ;)
its like bitcoin :D

look how much people are ready to pay for a original not opened iPhone 3GS (it can be around 2-5k $) for a phone that costs about 500$

so if you have nothing to do with it now you should keep it for some time and the value will raise (try to keep it in his original package and not open it)

btw how much did you pay for it?
I paid for mine 99 euro

andymc

Licensed User
Longtime User
I paid £80 for it. I'm starting to think I might keep it for research for my mobile game writing. I can't go wrong using Nintendo style games as a base to work from. I could also claim it back against taxable income from AdSense earnings.

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I paid £80 for it. I'm starting to think I might keep it for research for my mobile game writing. I can't go wrong using Nintendo style games as a base to work from. I could also claim it back against taxable income from AdSense earnings.

this is exactly why i also bought it. those old 8-bit games inspire my b4x work.
i like to see how the old-school game was made and if you ask me the creator of Super Mario is a time traveler.

if you compare super Mario that was released in 1985 with other game from that time they are too far away from each other. super Mario was in my opinion released in the wrong year. it is really a great piece of Art.