Kickstarter

wonder

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Has anyone here ever used Kickstarter to fund a project?
I'd like to hear your opinions on this matter. :)

Later this year, I'm thinking about "kickstarting" my Project Ryu, in order to hire and artist / sprite animator.

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I see that @treehousefrog was able to raise almost 300 pounds. Not bad! :)

i think kickstarter is a great way to raise money for your project.
what i would recommend you if you will use kickstarter invest a little on the presentation video. this is the most importent thing if you want to success with kickstarter

i had seen some project in kickstarter that had raised much more then their goal and their video was made by a very professional comercial agentur
i ask them how much will cost me such a video and they told me about 20.000 shekel (=5000$)

not cheap but i belive this was the reason for his success... (https://www.kickstarter.com/project...rtphone-controlled-paper-airplane/description Goal was 50k he raise 1.2 million$!!!!!)

this is the company that made this video (http://tross.co/portfolio/) they are from israel

Btw: i like your project Ryu, so you can count me as one of your backers ;)

Last edited:

wonder

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Indeed, it's a very professional presentation! Pretty cool idea as well, to have an RC paper plane. When the time comes, I'll definitely try to come up with something among these quality standards. :)

I'm currently focusing in the AI and overall game design. In terms of code, I'd say I've reached 70%.
Once I have at least 90% done, my plan is to "re-skin" and "re-brand" the game.
For that to happen, I'll have to raise enough money to hire a manga artist / sprite animator. :)

Once again, thanks for backing my idea, @ilan! :D

wonder

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
After reading the Kickstarter FAQ, I'm utterly disappointed.

Who can use Kickstarter?
Kickstarter is open to backers all over the world.

Meanwhile, project creation is currently available to individuals in the US, UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, the Netherlands, Denmark, Ireland, Norway and Sweden who meet the requirements below.

What a big f@ck you to the rest of the world!!! :( :mad:
What the hell is their problem? What does my geographical location has to do with anything?? We're living in the Internet age!

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
can't you just select one of the other countries when signing up?

I don't believe all these projects are coming from only these 10 countries.

wonder

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
They require government issued documents like a passport or driver's license.
I've lived in the Netherlands before, so there is technically a chance if I changed my driver's license into a dutch one.

I am now starting to consider Indiegogo as an alternative...