Android Question Latitude and longitude of incoming call

Alex_197

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi all.

Is it possible to get a geolocation (lat/long) of incoming call? The idea is to show a caller's location on a google map.
I understand that it might not work in case of spoofing, VOIP or a landline.

Thanks.

JohnC

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
GPS coordinates are not part of incoming caller information.

However, if you can find a database of area codes and the city/states they belong to on the internet, then you can do something similar.

Some phones already have a "city lookup" type app pre-installed, so it will display the city the call *might* be coming from.

Upvote 0

Alex_197

Licensed User
Longtime User
GPS coordinates are not part of caller information.

However, if you can find a database of area codes and the city/states they belong to, then you can do something similar.
Thank you for a quick replay.

But I need a physical real-time location. Not an area code. Something similar to the 911.

Upvote 0

JohnC

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
That information would not be available to your app.

However, if your app is installed on both the caller's phone and your phone, then your app could pass that info between them.

Upvote 0

Alex_197

Licensed User
Longtime User
That information would not be available to your app.

However, if your app is installed on both the caller's phone and your phone, then you could create an app that can pass that info between them.
On both phones is not a problem - in this case I can share my geo location with Google (so does other phone) and we both can see each other on a map without even making a call.. This is not my point.

My point is to create the app that will show where the caller is without him knowing about being traced.

Upvote 0

TILogistic

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
On both phones is not a problem - in this case I can share my geo location with Google (so does other phone) and we both can see each other on a map without even making a call.. This is not my point.

My point is to create the app that will show where the caller is without him knowing about being traced.

If you want to do what it says, you need to create an application that is hidden, that detects when a call is made and that sends the location where it was made.

Upvote 0

Alex_197

Licensed User
Longtime User
If you want to do what it says, you need to create an application that is hidden, that detects when a call is made and that sends the location where it was made.
that means that I need to have an access to the phone itself

Upvote 0

JohnC

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
NOTE: Google does not allow any apps in the play store that secretly disclose a user's location with or without making a call.

One way or the other the "caller" would have to have your app installed on their device in order to send you their location, and you would just configure the app to send you the location via a silent push notification, email, etc. when they call you.

Upvote 0

JohnC

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
that means that I need to have an access to the phone itself
Yes, you would need access to their phone to install your app.

Upvote 0

Alex_197

Licensed User
Longtime User
Yes, you would need access to their phone to install your app.
I thought that I can somehow mimic 911 technology. Well, not possible.

The idea is to trace employee phones while we're working on the app that later will be installed on their phones legally. This app will collect clock in / clock out time and geo and send it back to the office like a time sheet.

Upvote 0

JohnC

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I thought that I can somehow mimic 911 technology. Well, not possible.
Such software is probably configured to only send location data when "911" is called and will not send location data if any other number is dialed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TILogistic

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Unless you can get ICCID (IMEI) from subscribers' SIM CARDS.

Telephone companies have this information recorded and can triangulate their positions through their antennas.

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

emexes

Expert
Licensed User
The idea is to trace employee phones
If the phones belong to and are registered by the company, then perhaps FindMyPhone or whatever Google's equivalent is might help, eg: here are my parents' devices right now (interestingly one of them is off by 200m: presumably the GPS on that device isn't working inside the house, and so it's using the home internet IP address and narrowed it down to a junction box) (this was much more impressive when they were on the other side of the world, where they lived on a farm for six months and I could see dad go walking out in the paddocks to visit the horses)

1595994249465.png

Upvote 0

Alex_197

Licensed User
Longtime User
If the phones belong to and are registered by the company, then perhaps FindMyPhone or whatever Google's equivalent is might help, eg: here are my parents' devices right now (interestingly one of them is off by 200m: presumably the GPS on that device isn't working inside the house, and so it's using the home internet IP address and narrowed it down to a junction box) (this was much more impressive when they were on the other side of the world, where they lived on a farm for six months and I could see dad go walking out in the paddocks to visit the horses)

View attachment 97766
Thank you

Upvote 0