B4R Question LCD screens that are compatible with B4R?

Kevin

Licensed User
Longtime User
I know there is a library for LCD or OLED screens but from the videos and examples I've seen, they seem a bit small and do not seem to take advantage of higher resolutions.

It looks like my plan to use 4-digit LEDs isn't working out as planned due to lack of a functional decimal point.

It would need to display something like this:

Pool Temp: 80.6 F
Air Temp: 86.3 F
Air Humidity: 45
Heat Pump: Run (or Standby)

If it is a wider display (as opposed to square), I could move some things around to accommodate that, but I really would like for each line of text to be at least 1/2" high and readable from around 8' away. Also, something that uses minimal pins and will work with my NodeMCU ESP-12E. I probably have maybe 4 pins to spare, though I could use more if I repurpose Tx & Rx.

Any recommendations? These modules are fairly cheap but as of now I have a pile of various 4-digit LED modules that I may never use, and I hate to just add more crap to that pile. :D

Kevin

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks for the replies. I think for now I will try a 20x4 LCD display. I am hoping the display will be bright enough to read in bright sunlight. :cool:

The touchscreen option sounds nice, but as this will need to be relatively weather resistant, I intend to put this all in a project box and put a clear plexiglass window on the front. With this in mind, a touchscreen would be overkill and non-functional.

If this doesn't suit my needs (unable to read in bright sunlight), has anyone ever managed to get their hands on a 4 digit LED display that is at least .56" tall and has working decimal points?

Upvote 0

Kevin

Licensed User
Longtime User
@Kevin

Have a look at one of these - cheap - easy to program - and should do the trick for what you intend (They are off an old Nokia 5110 by the way)

https://www.banggood.com/5110-LCD-Module-White-Backlight-For-Arduino-p-1272124.html?rmmds=search

For now I've got a 20x4 LCD module on the way. But I will definitely keep that in mind! One of the problems I am facing (or at least concerned about) is knowing what various modules will work with all available internal or external B4R libraries, especially after I had issues with a particular 4 digit LED that wouldn't work at all with any existing libraries even though it used the same chip. Is there a post or thread here that maintains a list of all various modules that have been confirmed to work with each library? If not, perhaps it would be a good idea to start such a list. I'm certain that I am not the only one who has run into a problem getting a module to work.

Upvote 0