Learning B4X on Exercism

Bruce Axtens

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm part of the team that just launched the COBOL track on Exercism.org. Is there any desire here for B4X to taught/studied? Our team had about 5 people in it and we got the initial set up done in about 3 weeks. We followed the instructions and with the help of a very helpful admin group achieved the goal.

Just a suggestion.

Meanwhile, I'm trying to get a track started for the 8th language. No team. It's taking a while.

-- Bruce

Bruce Axtens

Licensed User
Longtime User
Oh dear. Oh well, done now. Comes with being a programming language historian (see https://hopl.info) I expect.

-- Bruce

JohnC

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
It is not the best of elegance to mention any competing tools/languages of B4X on this site.
(Fortunately B4X is so much better that it can't do any "damage" 😁 ).
Hi @LucaMs, it looks like the site is a "teaching" site and does not promote one language over another - it just provides tutorials on how to use each different language.

I think it would be a good idea to have a section on that site that covers B4x so that it will let visitors to that site know about B4x and maybe gain some new members here :)

Last edited:

Bruce Axtens

Licensed User
Longtime User
8th reminds me a lot of Red-Lang. Do you know if they're related?

And, bugmagnet, are you still using Euphoria? 😁
I have a soft spot for Euphoria definitely. It's something else I'd like to see happen on Exercism.

Bruce Axtens

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have a soft spot for Euphoria definitely. It's something else I'd like to see happen on Exercism.
But as far as I know, there's no relationship between 8th and Red. 8th is a FORTH-derivative language. The author originally had a DOS-based FORTH called Reva (Hebrew for "fourth" I believe).

Bruce Axtens

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi @LucaMs, it looks like the site is a "teaching" site and does not promote one language over another - it just provides tutorials on how to use each different language.

I think it would be a good idea to have a section on that site that covers B4x so that it will let visitors to that site know about B4x and maybe gain some new members here :)
B4X should get more airplay and Exercism is definitely one possibility. I'm not volunteering to lead the project, however. I'm telling you all about it in the hopes that a team will form and get the job done. After that, there's the ongoing responsibility of mentoring but the user community here is huge (esp. compared to the aforementioned Israeli programming language that I got into trouble for mentioning ;) ) so it shouldn't be a problem.

Bruce Axtens

Licensed User
Longtime User
And, bugmagnet, are you still using Euphoria? 😁
I spent a lot of time with Euphoria predominantly in the late 1990s to early 2000s. How is it going these days? I see Pete's got Phix is up to v1.0 (and still hosting it at x10.mx for reasons best known to himself.) I don't have much to say these days so my forum membership keeps running out.

cklester

Licensed User
I spent a lot of time with Euphoria predominantly in the late 1990s to early 2000s. How is it going these days? I see Pete's got Phix is up to v1.0 (and still hosting it at x10.mx for reasons best known to himself.) I don't have much to say these days so my forum membership keeps running out.

Development on Euphoria continues at a very slow pace. Greg is basically in charge now, and he's been doing some really good stuff. Unfortunately, it's basically just him, and I'm sure he has limited time to work on the Euphoria ecosystem.