Java Question Lib license

peacemaker

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
HI, All

1) Say, a developer has developed a lib for me, i have paid for this work and got the lib and the source code
2) I'd like to publish the lib and its source code for the community for free
3) And i'd like to get the new updated lib versions from other user who downloaded and updated the lib.
4) Optionally - the donation way to try to compensate the paid cost from other lib users, if they wants to donate.

What license should be used for such publishing ? GNU GPL v3 ?

Last edited:

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
A developer has developed a lib for me, i have paid for this work and got the lib and the source code
As to point 1, even if you paid for that work, that does not mean that you automatically have the right, can sell or publish the compiled library or distribute the source code. Just make sure that the developer, even if he sent you the source code, has given you, preferably written, permission to publish it or put it into the public domain. Normally the writer (or the employer ***, if it is a work for hire) of the source code has inherent copyright on the code.

*** In certain countries, the developer, even working for a company, still is the owner/copyright holder of the source code although his/her employer may have the rights for distributing/using the code.

Last edited:

peacemaker

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Last edited:

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I am not a lawyer, although I work for an Intellectual Property office.
How is it ?
Put something into the Public domain means that you give it away for free. However, often this is done, with a similar approach as with open source software.

How should it be like if whole communication is just via Internet channels?
I guess you have exchanged correspondence, either here in the forum or by email. That should be enough but as I said, I am not a lawyer. When I have licensed full apps, not libraries, for clients, all such correspondence and written agreements, have been done by facsimile which in many countries have legal value.

peacemaker

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The papers - it's clear. But if the subject is just small lib and writer is interested only, say, in the money, and only i, as the employer, have all files and just want to share the lib for the community.
And formally to have the rights to use the lib in the future. So, task is formally to publish the files as are with mentioning the license that formally obliges next developers to publish the new version also back to community.

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
But if the subject is just small lib and writer is interested only, say, in the money, and only i, as the employer, have all files and just want to share the lib for the community.
Well, I think you still need (should ask) the developer's authorization to distribute the library and the source code even if he or she wanted to make a quick buck. Just to be on the safe side.

peacemaker

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
(should ask) the developer's authorization to distribute the library and the source code
It's of course. But anyway usually it's just a private message.
But if back to the subject - what license type ?

alwaysbusy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Statement by Erel about library licenses: (https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/important-notice-about-libraries-license.12556/#content)

"By default libraries created and shared by forum members are licensed under creative commons CC BY 3.0 license: Creative Commons — Attribution 3.0 Unported — CC BY 3.0
Developers can choose a different license if they desire. "

So unless you have an other license agreement with the programmer, this is the one you can follow, else follow the license agreement you have with the original programmer.

peacemaker

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
OK, re-asking: What lic type better to choose for the lib and its source code (to meet the conditions of the start post), if writer of it does not care ?