Android Question Library / solution to mark / read all barcodes in a continuous live camera image?

Micholl

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello,

can anyone suggest a solution for B4A to mark and read all barcodes in a current camera image?

The task is to scan a pile of packages all with a barcode facing towards one direction at once not one after another. The preview should mark recognised barcodes in the picture and a event should generate a list of all recognised barcodes with its type and payload.

Best regards,

Micholl

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Upvote 0

Micholl

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank you Don Manfred!

I think you mean the Google Vision based solutions from Johan Schoeman and yourself.

I can't get the library and example from Johan running because of "extras\google\google_play_services\libproject" missing.
I see that I have only docs and samples in my "extras\google\google_play_services" - no libproject subfolder.
I have read that this should be now in "m2repository" - but there is also no "libproject".

The library and example from yourself is running, "Start BarcodeScan" opens the camera app (?), I can take a picture
(with barcodes) and that is all - nothing more happens. What should it do after it returns from the picture?
But I'm looking more for a solution like that what I have seen in the screenshots from Johan Schoenman's examples.

Any hint for one of those problems?

Thank you,

Micholl

Upvote 0

MarkusR

Licensed User
Longtime User
i think you need more than 5 mp camera to get more barcodes from an image.
i would try first marking the barcodes manual and cut the portion of images to give it each to the scan modul for reading & result.
how to to find rects of barcodes automatic in a image is a other problem.
last year i try to read code 3 of 9 with my own source code, it was very difficult!
if you find an open source lib like zxing use it ;)
https://github.com/zxing/zxing

Upvote 0

Micholl

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank you MarkusR! I'm already using zxing in other projects, but zxing reads only one barcode at a time.
As you said I would have to cut a picture in pieces (where are the barcodes?) before zxing could read them.
I don't think that is simpler to handle and we need a visual check that all labels/barcodes are recognised
at the time the picture is taken - so Google's Vision (if I can get it working) would be a good solution.
Most of our customers use Android phones with back camera 8MP or more and the labels / barcodes are
DIN A4, so I think resolution is not the problem - more often the Autofocus (or the misbehaviour of the
Autofocus).

Upvote 0

MarkusR

Licensed User
Longtime User
if you know the source rectangle then you can do the visual feedback there.
if you convert the source image into a low resolution black/white image (or boolean array) then it should be easy to find a black block (representing a barcode position or maybe a text block)
yes Autofocus was very important and good light.

Upvote 0