Android Question limit of the length of the text in the SMS message

Valeriy Lakhtin

Licensed User
Hi frends! How to know the limit of the length of the text in the SMS message. What determines this setting: on your phone or mobile operator. I know that the use of a language other than the Latin alphabet increases by 2 times the volume of messages.

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
SMS are limited to 160 bytes each. If you are using a characterset other than Latin then each character needs two bytes. So the max chars using such characterset is around 80.

Upvote 0

Valeriy Lakhtin

Licensed User
I thought so. But my SMS mixed Latin and Cyrillic. I have developed an algorithm counting limit. But on different smartphones exactly the same text is sent SMS sometimes and sometimes not?

Upvote 0

Valeriy Lakhtin

Licensed User
I live and work in Kazakhstan. The level of service of mobile operators low so that information can not learn. Maybe there is a way to control the actual SMS sent or not sent, because of great length. Can you give some advice

Upvote 0

Valeriy Lakhtin

Licensed User
I whant to registered the event - actually SMS sended or not. To send a SMS, I use the code
B4X:
Dim SMSOK As PhoneSms
SMSOK.Send(strPhone, sms)

Upvote 0

Valeriy Lakhtin

Licensed User
In your link I read -
Since UDH is part of the payload, the number of available characters per segment is lower: 153 for 7-bit encoding, 134 for 8-bit encoding and 67 for 16-bit encoding.
All SMS is encoded in one way. Therefore, if you are using different languages, the limit does not depend on the proportions of the different languages and Latin. The combined SMS limit will be fixed 67 characters for 16-bit encoding. I right?

Upvote 0

Tayfur

Licensed User
Longtime User
Upvote 0

Tayfur

Licensed User
Longtime User
normalliy 7bit(GSM) encoding is 160char length
Unicode encoding is 70char length.

You change special char for reduce to long sms cost.

for example.
you must change like it.
"Ç" -->> "C"
"Ö"--->>"O"

after you must calculate sms length.
http://messente.com/documentation/sms-length-calculator

Upvote 0