Loading external layout files

jdonth

Licensed User
Longtime User
Is there a way to load a layout file from an external source?

For example, if I was to store a layout file on a web server, how could I retrieve the file via HTTP and use something like LoadLayout to use the layout?

~Joe Donth

balistreri1

Licensed User
Longtime User
Is it possible to copy NEW layout files on top of the existing layout files within the "assets" folder prior to run time ???

I also use Eclipse and I bought the Basic4Android because I find it simplifies and speeds up my design time. I love it..

I do have a problem with the binary layout.BAL files..

I "NEED" to edit the layout files manually with a simple text editor.
The designer works great, but I need to modify the layout code directly..

Is there a way to load in standard XML layout files, as is done normally.

Such as...

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<LinearLayout xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/android"
android:eek:rientation="vertical"
android:layout_width="fill_parent"
android:layout_height="fill_parent">

<TextView>
android:layout_width="fill_parent"
android:layout_height="wrap_content"
android:text="@string/hello"
<TextView/>

</LinearLayout>

Upvote 0

bloxa69

Licensed User
Longtime User
Edit layout files manually

I just bought B4A and it's a great, I love it, but I also ran right away into the situation when I needed to edit the layout file manually.

Simple example: I copied the layout file from another project into the new one. It has about 30 buttons of the same size. All of them too small for the new project and I need to re-size them all at once (going to each button's options and do it manually is just crazy).
I understand I can re-size or change them using Designer's window script, but it only works/shows when you run the script (F5). When you get back to the properties window (stop the script) it's back to the small (original) size and colors on the device/emulator and that's just too small and ugly to work with in my case.

If I could open the layout file (in a text editor) and run a search & replace and change all those buttons' size (or any attributes) all at ones that would be great. Same about colors and any other attributes. A possibility of doing them at the run time or from the script sure helps a bit, but not enough in my case as while previewing it you cannot edit the elements and when you are back to editing, they are too small.

So I ended up going to all buttons options and changing them and repositioning manually, so I don't have to run scripts and change them dynamically all the time to see how my layout changes looks.

Upvote 0

Mike Henry

Licensed User
Longtime User
I agree with this. I can think of at least three reasons for editing an XML layout file:
1. For copying layouts back and forth between B4A and Eclipse. It's would be handy to create a prototype in B4A then just pop the layout into Java/Eclipse when I need advanced functions.
2. For making wholesale changes to the layout, such as moving 30 buttons left by 5 pixels.
3. For setting parameters that aren't in the B4A Designer. I'm currently loading up my code with List and Edit colors.

Upvote 0