Share My Creation Local Food and Drink Guide

Finally have my first app up and running, thanks to the people on the forum for your help in getting me this far!

The app is a food and drink guide for the city of York where I live, it works by downloading a database file, allowing the user to quickly view menus, special offers etc with no need for connectivity. So for example you can see every burger available right now, all vegetarian dishes etc etc.

Built using an HTC sensation and most of the HTC models seem to work ok, however I tried it last night on a Sony Ericcson xperia pro and it hangs when loading in the database file (specficially, when trying to create a table, menuitem, which has the largest number of entries). I'm wondering if this is a memory issue with the phone and what workaround there is.

Any feedback or comments much appreciated!

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.eatyork.restaurantFinder&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS5lYXR5b3JrLnJlc3RhdXJhbnRGaW5kZXIiXQ..

Attachments

• splash.jpg
    splash.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 7,894
  • profile.jpg
    profile.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 381
  • menu.jpg
    menu.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 352

Asmoro

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Yonson,

Looks interesting.
Btw, your main menu has the same style like mine.(4 buttons in a row):)

I've noticed that according by the look of the images, your layout screens
have different styles so not the same look and feel.
Is that on purpose?

yonson

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Asmoro

thanks for taking a look - yup we're using bitmap images on the splash screen, but standard android designs (i.e. whatever the phone uses by default) for the listviews, buttons on the profile page etc, as the key is to keep the code as small as possible.

Any ideas on why the database is falling over on the Sony Ericcson? seems to do it when creating a large table. Assume its some kind of memory issue but can't get any useful debug stuff working

Asmoro

Licensed User
Longtime User
Sorry, I don't have experiences with database related issues, but
SE Xperia Pro only has 1GB of ROM (320MB user-available).
The 1 ghz processor should be enough though.

Let me get back to you, allright.

update: tried your app and went to 'Offers' section.
Once I opened an offer and cancel it by using 'Go Back', it's stuck allright.
But I think that you have to get rid of the Process Dialog 'searching Database-please wait'.
Useless message and misleading/confusing (doing anything) while data is still present after pushing the get back (real)button.

Last edited:

Ionut Indigo

Licensed User
Longtime User
EatYork is very neat application.
I too had some problems with the database update at first (didn't update and got some errors), but after a restart of the app, the update worked just fine.
On your future updates you should try to improve the apps interface, choose a color theme, use the same font and make a style for the buttons.
Besides that, that EatYork is a very useful application to have.