Android Question Location Manager wrong coordinates

carloz

Licensed User
Longtime User
hello everyone,

I have been using b4a for the past 3 years now..and its a pleasure to develop using it.. Erel keeps amazing us with the new updates!!!

PROBLEM
I have used the location manager library for a app developed for a client, it gets location_changed event from a background service(no gps), checks if the distance between previous lat long and new coordinates is larger than 100 meters and posts the location to a mysql database..

so far so good...

one particular user, operates in nigeria .. his location shows him to be in nigeria most of the time, but for random times in a day, his coordinates show he is in "Columbia"..!!!

i checked the lat longs posted to the mysql table and indeed, they show columbia on google maps too...
so for example..at 10.30 am he is in nigeria -- at 10.33 am he is in columbia!!!

atleast 200 users use this app daily , this is the only guy facing this problem.. his other coordinates throughout the day are perfect..

can someone think of a reason why this could be happening?

regards
carloz

fixit30

Licensed User
Longtime User
+1 I have seen this. However I believe that when you are requesting network location you are relying on the correct location being returned from the network rather than an accurate GPS fix.

Upvote 0

carloz

Licensed User
Longtime User
hi fixit30,

I do not have the option of using gps unfortunately... most of the time users are in cars/buses or indoors in basement shops. the only guarantee i have is that they have network.

regards
carloz

Upvote 0