Android Question Looking for barcode scanner sample

Feo

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello guys,
I have the task of writing a program that scans using a Zebra/Android unit. I am coming right now from using B4J, and I am trying to wrap my head around B4A. I am looking for a sample of how to do the communications to the scanner. I found a thread where somebody successfully did it here but the zip file in the message is corrupted. Is there a tutorial or sample you guys can recommend? I am not finding a good starting point.
Thanks.

Feo

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks for replying.
Yes, read from the scanner. I would like to be able to read a bar code. What happens after that, connecting to a back end, looking up data, flagging a record, etc. I know how to do on other languages and I think I can figure it out. But I am stuck right now on trying to read from the scanner. By that I mean get the bar code value. I found examples that use the camera, but I want to use the bar code scanner.

Upvote 0

Feo

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello again...
I got the file loaded and I stepping through it. I am stuck at one line:
CallSubDelayed2(Main, "GetResult",i)
There doesn't seem to be a 'GetResult' sub. Do you have that by any chance?

Upvote 0

mfstuart

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello Feo,
Find attached a scan demo I just built. It uses only the Core and if you want to, the Audio libraries.
The Audio library is used to send a beep to the tablet if scanning without or an invalid barcode.

I've added comments in the app, so read them to get a better idea of how to build the app.

I needed to build such an app for work some months ago, and so it was my first B4A app.
It's used to count inventory by our multiple offsite locations.
Web services are used to send the scanned data (stored in a SQLite database on the tablet) back to HQ SQL Server.

HTH,
Mark Stuart

Attachments

• ScannerDemo.zip
    33.9 KB · Views: 298
Upvote 0