Looking for feedback on the new remote compilation feature

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
As explained in this thread: New experimental feature: remote compilation - soon available...

The trial version supports a new compilation mode with the purpose of making it easier for new users to start and develop.

If you have a few spare minutes we will be grateful if you can give this feature a try. You should download the trial version and the latest B4A-Bridge: Basic4android (Basic for Android) - Android programming with Gui designer

Do not overwrite the full version. Install it on a different folder. This way it will not interfere with the full version. Make sure that Remote compilation mode is checked under Tools menu.

Create a simple project and try to install it. Your feedback (here or by mail: [email protected]) will be much appreciated.

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
OK, I tested some sample projects and everything worked just like if I was compiling locally in my LAN.

I did also some test-project with some images to test transfer-rate and there were no problems at all.

Everything is very transparent - you hardly notice the small delay there might be when sending / retrieving data with remote-server.

Seems like a powerful and fast server which I guess will be important if many users connect at same time.

One thing I noted though:

-if WIFI gets disconnected and you loose your connection with B4A-Bridge, B4A does not detect this immediately. I compiled an app, data was sent to remote-server, then I received "Installing file to device", next "Installing with B4A-Bridge" and finally "Completed successfully". Of course, nothing was installed on my device.

One thing I didn't like: as soon as "Completed successfully" appeared, its windows was iconized. I prefer to see this windows after comnpilation. If I don't want it, it is enough I compile in background.

Upvote 0

dagnabitboy

Licensed User
Longtime User
I like this feature! It was only slightly slower than local compiling. This will be great for newcomers as they can skip the installation of the android SDK. I can also see where this might lead to creating apps directly on a device, such as a tablet where typing isn't too difficult. Keep up the innovations Erel!!

Upvote 0

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I meant that the Compile-popup window got iconized i.e. it was moved down to the toolbar without waiting for me to click OK.

However, I tried again this morning and now it does not happen anymore :sign0161:

Thank you. Your feedback is really helpful.

What do you mean with "iconized"?

Upvote 0

cengolo

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Everybody,
i think remote compilation does not work if you use additional libraries. i am using weviewextras and phonestatelistener and i keed getting errors like:
main.java:238: error: package uk.co.martinpearman.b4a.webviewextras does not exist

Upvote 0