Android Question Make a copy of a project

RogerGCollin

Licensed User
Hi, as a beginner user I sometimes I want to make a copy of a project so that I can play around and see what works without wrecking my original code. This is easy in VBA for Excel for example, which I am familiar with, as I just save the sheet as something else and try out stuff. However it does not seem easy to do in B4A. There is no save as button and copying the folder and renaming the .bas and .meta files does not seem to work i.e. it does not detect my layout files. Likewise the other thing I have seen is to zip the project then add to a different folder. Again this is not detecting my files.

What am I missing, surely there must be an easy way to make a copy of a project? At my poor level of expertise I need to be able to play around with a copy of my project and probably break it! then take these learning's back to my original project that does work.

Thanks for any thoughts on this

mangojack

Licensed User
Longtime User
All I do in similar circumstances is copy the folder containing the project and immediately Paste in the same Parent Folder.
Windows will create a duplicate project folder followed by "- Copy" * Or your can paste the project in a entirely separate folder.

I will edit "Copy" to something like "Prior to these Changes or Whatever ..." then use the original project to commence major changes.
In your case , Copy the project , if you want rename the b4A file to stop any confusion if your running both copies and do your experimenting.

You do always have the Automatic backups if things go wrong ... *** And should always have official off disk backups as well ... (dropbox, onedrive etc)

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
File - Export as zip should include all files and is the correct way to do it. If you added files to the Files folder directly then click on the Files tab and choose Sync.

In B4XPages projects (which is recommended for all new projects) you should click on:

1600768423909.png

Upvote 0

RogerGCollin

Licensed User
Thank you Erel. Using that Ctrl + click to export does indeed give a viable project once unzipped. Just didn't when I used File then Export as Zip.

Upvote 0