Making a living from apps?

Rams007

Does anyone do this or is it just a casual thing?

I learned vb6 years ago and find this very similar. I am wondering if I could actually set myself as an app developer. How much would you charge per app etc?

Andrew (Digitwell)

Licensed User
Longtime User
I do this as a full time job and the B4X tools are excellent for the purpose.

In terms of charging. I base my fees on a daily rate. I break the app down into features / screens / API calls / items etc, size each one individually and then tot it all up. I have a multipler, < 2, if the client want both iOS and Android.

I usually quote fixed price, but Time & Materials is also possible, depending on the client.

Bear in mind for most apps you will need to develop a back end server for data storage. So you need a knowledge of database development, PHP or some other server based language.

Don't forget the submission also. I get my client now to register their own developer accounts which they give me access to.

Good luck.

tufanv

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
B4J is an excellent choice for such tasks.
I generally create my apis with php, is there any method I can use to create api responses as json for example other than using websockets ? I want my backend to be accessible with siple web browsers for example to provide json response.

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I generally create my apis with php, is there any method I can use to create api responses as json for example other than using websockets ? I want my backend to be accessible with siple web browsers for example to provide json response.
Sorry @tufanv , I will have to give the usual:

Please start a new thread for this question

Descartex

Licensed User
Longtime User
I used to do the same... but now I make them with Laravel...

tufanv

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Yes, of course. jServer supports both WebSockets and regular http requests.
Any estimation of how many concurrent connections will it be able to handle ? It will take data from mysql server and give json response on port 80 to customers. I have around 4000 concurrent connections on peaktime. Or let me ask this, is there any calculation like ram for each user is this or cpu use is this etc.. ?