Android Question Manage database in Android v12

vecino

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi, a customer has left me his Lenovo Tab M10 Plus tablet to install my sales application.
I also wanted to install (from Google Play Store) an application to manage sqlite databases, but I have found the unpleasant surprise that none of them work, better said, they all work, but they can not open the database of my application.
I don't know if it's a problem with this tablet or it's a new permissions restriction of this Android version.
Do you know anything about it?
Thank you.

vecino

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi, the databases of my applications are always in:
Android/data/my-application/files

Which comes to be:
/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/my-application/files

Thank you.

Upvote 0

vecino

Licensed User
Longtime User
Yes, other applications can access, e.g. Total Commander.
The problem is with applications that access the sqlite database.
None of them work, some can't even access the directory, and one of the ones I have tried can access but says it is not a valid database.

I'm thinking, rambling, if the version of sqlite that comes with Android 12 has some incompatibility with previous versions.
I doubt it, but I can't think of any reason why none of the 10 or 15 apps I've tried can access the database.

Upvote 0

vecino

Licensed User
Longtime User
It’s because of new android restrictions.
Oh, really? :mad:
So, now how can the databases be consulted?
All those "Sqlite Manager" applications are useless?
How can that be?
There must be some way to access them, some trick or something.
Android is getting worse and worse with the excuse of security, at least they should give the option to whoever wants or needs to do what they want.
Thanks, my friend.

Upvote 0

vecino

Licensed User
Longtime User
For the moment I have solved it by copying the database to the "Downloads" directory.
There it can be opened by any sqlite manager application.

Upvote 0

josejad

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Check the third paragraph

Not all folders are accessible with ExternalStorage in Android 11+. Specifically, root, Android/data and Download are not accessible: more information.

Upvote 0

vecino

Licensed User
Longtime User
The truth is that it is not at all clear to me, because in addition to so many technicalities, I have to use the translator from English to my language.
Anyway it works fine for me to copy the database to /Download with the WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission, when it should not work, in theory. This makes it more complicated to understand what it says.
Also, I really don't understand why they have removed all the sqlite database management applications in one go, for us (developers) it is an essential utility.
I would understand that for a normal user access is limited, but there should always be an option in Android "Settings" to allow access to databases.
Anyway, it is what it is.
Thanks, friends.

Upvote 0