Manifest syntax errors

PenguinHero

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi All,

Until today the only problem I've had with the example programs that come with libraries is that sometimes they reference other libraries that I don't have.

Today I encountered a different problem for the first time, and I encountered it several times in several different demo library examples. Just a coincidence? Or is something "broken" in my B4A.

I keep getting this error when I try and run the example programs:
B4X:
Parsing code.                           0.05
Compiling code.                         Error
Error parsing manifest script:
Line = 12, Word = (

When I look at the manifest file I see:
B4X:
'This code will be applied to the manifest file during compilation.
'You do not need to modify it in most cases.
'See this link for for more information: http://www.b4x.com/forum/showthread.php?p=78136
'<uses-sdk android:minSdkVersion="4" android:targetSdkVersion="17"/>

AddManifestText(<uses-sdk android:minSdkVersion="4" android:targetSdkVersion="18"/>
                <supports-screens android:largeScreens="true"
                                  android:normalScreens="true"
                                  android:smallScreens="true"
                                  android:anyDensity="true"/>)

SetManifestAttribute("android:installLocation", "auto")   

SetApplicationAttribute(android:hardwareAccelerated, "true")
SetApplicationAttribute(android:icon, "@drawable/icon")
SetApplicationAttribute(android:label, "$LABEL$")

'End of default text.

I don't ever recall seeing that line before in the middle that ends with the parameter of "auto".
I tried running some of my existing programs and they are fine, and don't have that line in the manifest. Is it new? Old? Something else?

If I remove that line then it compiles and runs fine.
I'm confused as to what and why this is happening, and why I have gotten it for several different library demo programs today when I have never seen it before.
Something that may let be another coincidence is that earlier today I was editing manifests in a demo program for one of the menu classes that didn't like the SDK version numbers that were declared. But I don't see how that could be impacting other programs?

Any thoughts anyone? I'm guessing there is is simple answer, beyond just removing the offending line from the manifest.

Thanks,
PH

PenguinHero

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Erel,

I don't need to upload anything to provide a sample - One example is from the Animated Sliding Menu class from NJDude.
You can see it in his Demo program in the forums:
http://www.b4x.com/forum/additional...3-class-animated-sliding-menu.html#post137072

All I did was download and extract the projects from the zip file and try and run them. That's when I'd get the manifest syntax error - I didn't change the code (or manifest file) in any way.

Several other demo programs I downloaded today for classes and libraries had the same issue. Very curious.

Upvote 0

PenguinHero

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have Version 2.52, and overwrote each previous version when a new one came out.

Today is the first time I have seen the issue, but as I mentioned I have seen it in several B4A projects that I downloaded today and tried to run.

For all I know something as simple as a reboot on my PC may fix the issue. But even if it does, where is the extra item in the manifest coming from? Or is it really in the projects I downloaded?

One thing that might be a factor. I commonly have multiple copies of B4A running in parallel, with different projects in them. Sometimes it will be a demo for a library in one, and my program in a another. I copy and paste code (and alt tab) between the two to make use of it.
Since I don't normally edit Manifest files, it is possible that today is the first time I have done so when I have multiple copies of B4A running. It hasn't caused me any problems in the past doing this...

Upvote 0

PenguinHero

Licensed User
Longtime User
Okay, but I'm still puzzled as to why get the manifest syntax error when I try and run them?

I haven't done anything to the program or manifest file.

Upvote 0