Material Design tutorials decision

Should Material Design tutorials mainly use the AppCompat support library?

• Yes, please with AppCompat so the apps will be compatible with pre Lollipop Android versions

Votes: 8 100.0%
  • No. I don't want AppCompat. It is enough to "emulate" some of the look of Material Design.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

corwin42

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm currently working on a tutorial series about the new "Material Design" and how to create such apps with B4A.

Now I'm thinking about the way to choose. Google gave us a quite good library for creating material design apps even for older android versions. It's the "AppCompat V7 Support Library". In this library there are many useful tools and components for creating material design apps in a backwards compatible way.

The drawback of this library is that it adds some overhead to the apps so a minimal app with appcompat v7 and material design will be 1MB in size. Also the handling will be a bit complicated (Using a special theme, extending special Activity class, using additional ressources, ...).

The other way would be not to use AppCompat but use some native SDK features of Android Lollipop (API21). The drawback of this method would be that the new features like Toolbar etc. will only be available on Android Lollipop (and up) devices. So the apps won't be backwards compatible to older Android versions.
With some work many things can be produced with the possiblities available directly with B4A but in my opinion this will produce only the "look" of material design, not the "feel".

So what do you think I should do in the tutorials? Should I concentrate mainly on features possible with AppCompat (of course I will create a nice wrapper library for AppCompat for your use) or should I mainly concentrate on features available directly in B4A and in the native API 21 SDK?

I added a poll to this post where you can give a quick answer. But please also write comments what you think about it.

P.S.: A first tutorial with a simple example in material design for Android 5.0 devices will come in a few days.

thedesolatesoul

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Difficult call.
None of the backported Material design apps look quite right. Even google's own.
Also, Appcompat isnt quite complete. We still cannot style views based on the theme.

I think we should go only as far as well can with AppCompat. Stuff like Cardview is easier to backport (I broke my implementation and its not working anymore! Too much dependency on resources) ...but stuff like Toolbar which requires either extending ActionbarActivity but can also be used without it, but Toolbar is a generic component.

Jaames

Licensed User
Longtime User
+1 for AppCompat , 1MB is nothing for today devices and internet speeds + data plans, and it wont hurt any app in my opinion...
and of course , thanks in advance for future tutorials, I can't wait :)

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
+1 for AppCompat , 1MB is nothing for today devices and internet speeds + data plans, and it wont hurt any app in my opinion...
fully agree
and of course , thanks in advance for future tutorials, I can't wait :)
yes, thanx in advance from me too. :)