Media scanner and File Manager Crashing

cooperlegend

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi,

Im very new to Android developing, and I am having some problems when deploying to my new Samsung Galaxy S II device...

Developments work fine in the emulator, so decided to try on my device.

First problem last week, I chose and Icon too large (I believe), after deployment the TWLauncher program kept crashing, I couldn't stop this and had to take the phone back to O2 as I thought it was a hardware problem, then re-flashed it and cleared the device (lost my photos) back to as new. All worked fine again until I deployed the program again, same thing happened, I eventually got around this by realising it was was my program deployment causing the issue (and a bit of hacking was necessary to recover the device).

But now, even though the icon is 48x42 and no longer causing the TWLauncher (menu program) to crash I am still getting a crash in the initial media scan and whenever I use the File manager program and go into the sd storage card.

Even if I uninstall the program the file manager still crashes...

Any ideas what is causing this?

cooperlegend

Licensed User
Longtime User
plenty of space on both the phone and the sd card.

if I remove the sd card all is fine...

I have also reformatted the sd card and re-copied the files back on and media scan still fails ?!?

Upvote 0

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I have an SD card that works fine in my PC but not in my ZTE Blade so it is worth trying another if you have one. There seem to be a lot of reports about SD card problems in Android. Google for "android sd card problem". It seems to affect many different manufacturers of both cards and phones. The problem seems to be so widespread it almost looks like there is some long present bug in Android as I find it difficult to believe that so many phones and/or SD cards are faulty.

Upvote 0

cooperlegend

Licensed User
Longtime User
* FIXED *

OK, definitely worth reporting this one back, this has cost me about three days now, hopefully others will not fall in the same trap...

It turns out that this is nothing to do with faulty SD cards (mine is fine).

It turns out that this is exactly the same problem as I had initially.

It was a corrupt apk file

This corrupt apk file was causing the media scan to fail and as part of that it was also causing the application manager to fail (so could uninstall it) and as originally found it could cause the menu system to fail (then no access to phone at all).

Reason for this ?

The icon file was TOO large

B4A allowed me (stupid I know for me to try) to load a larger than needed file as an icon for the application. As soon as the apk file was loaded to the device (or sd card) the device started to play up (as above).

Now I have a 48x42 icon file it works fine.

I naturally assumed that B4A would reduce this file to a sensible size. Please look at this for the next release :)

Thanks for everyone's replies....

Upvote 0