iOS Question Minimising Graphic Memory Use

RichardN

Licensed User
Longtime User
My experience to date with B4i leads me to conclude that iOS hand-held devices whilst very user friendly are rather lacking in processing power when compared with their Android counterparts.

With that in mind:

...A user is to select a TableView cell as a means of viewing one of 60 larger graphics retrieved from a database. The full-res graphic is about 1000x1500px (about 400k) designed to be shown at nearly full-screen together with some textual information. Out of choice I would like to display a thumbnail in the TableView to enhance the user experience but there may be memory issues. My question is.... what is the best strategy for speed and memory utilisation:

Option 1. Down-sample the existing database hi-res graphics to populate the TableView thumbnails - How ?

Option 2. Produce thumbnail size graphics and add them to the database. Use the thumbnails to populate the TableView, giving a fatter database but leaner memory profile.

Option 3. Don't use that many graphics in the TableView at all because the screen performance deteriorates.

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
The file size is not important. Only the image size. 1000 x 1500 is a large image. Each image will require about 6mb.

The solution in B4A would have been to use LoadBitmapSample. There isn't an equivalent method in B4i (there isn't a similar native API in iOS). So if you can add the thumbnails to the database.

Upvote 0