B4J Question More robust console apps

JakeBullet70

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi all.

In my newly found linux learning from the console point of view I have found Midnight Commander.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midnight_Commander

upload_2016-7-11_8-58-19.png

A REALLY great file manager that I use daily. So in thinking (I really have to stop doing that) can b4j do something like this? A little research and I found out it uses the ncurses to do all it's magic.

"ncurses (new curses) is a programming library providing an application programming interface (API) that allows the programmer to write text-based user interfaces in a terminal-independent manner. It is a toolkit for developing "GUI-like" application software that runs under a terminal emulator."

I myself will not do GUI for the RasPi but this looks good.

So... How can b4j use this library? Is there a java port!!!! :)
And I found: https://sourceforge.net/projects/javacurses/

So... Again... How does one get this working in b4j? Easy, hard, impossible or is my brain really only on 3 hours of sleep.

Thanks

JakeBullet70

Licensed User
Longtime User
OK, I NEED, WANT real console support and really in the end, b4j does not have it on the road plan. I myself am abandoning b4j for console applications. b4j supports many other great things but ncursor type apps. Nope! No offence to the b4x team. But I am moving on.

Upvote 0

thedesolatesoul

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
One thing worth mentioning is that linux and windows console dont share the same features.
So you may find libraries that work on one or the other, there are some that work on both but they will have lesser features.
Things like colors/positioning/resizing etc...atleast for pure console apps. The one you linked above seems different.

Upvote 0

JakeBullet70

Licensed User
Longtime User
The one I linked above is not based off of Windows or Linux consoles. It creates its own. so typing ls or dir will do nothing. It is for creating text based games and really is pretty cool. Just posted for fun.

Upvote 0

Roycefer

Licensed User
Longtime User
The jColorLogger library allows for the use of colorful logging in the console (platform-independent), console input (both synchronous and asynchronous), and there's a progress bar example in that library's forum thread that shows how to reposition the cursor within a line. It's not quite as powerful as ncurses but it might get you 80% of what you want.

Upvote 0