B4J Question Multi client TCP using JNetwork

Discussion in 'B4J Questions' started by nosaj66au, Jul 23, 2015.

1. nosaj66au

nosaj66au Member Licensed User

Hi All,
    Looking for some advice. I have created a small application to push a "text" string to multiple client over multiply TCP connections. All clients will receive the same string at a time interval therefore very little client management is required (no client requests). I have been using a array of sockets and astreams and as a new connection comes in it attaches to the next available socket and astream. Originally I captured what sockets/astreams were being used and only wrote (astream.write) to the connected astream outputstream. As I refined the code I accidentally wrote to all astream outputsstreams in the array regardless of connection state. To my surprise it worked and didn't throw an error. If this is a valid use and if doesn't cause memory leaks or stack problem it can reduce the client management code by heaps.

In short :
    Can using astream.Write to an unconnected astream object without causing an issue or problem?

Jason

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  2. Erel

Erel Administrator Staff Member Licensed User

Yes.

Though you should handle the terminated and error events and remove disconnected AsyncStreams.

Make sure to check this solution: Custom WebSocket Based Push Framework

It will most probably work better.

lemonisdead likes this.
  3. nosaj66au

Thanks Erel
    I have added the Terminated and error events. However as my AsyscStreams are in an array and I would like to use a common event name. Is there anyway to determine which AsysStream generated the event without creating a new class to do it?

event deceleration something like:- "Sub Astream_error(index as int) " where index it the element ?

Jason

4. nosaj66au

Next time I should look before hitting the keyboard. :)

".IndexOf(Sender)" right?

To use "Sender" must it be a list or will an array work?

Jason

5. Erel

Erel Administrator Staff Member Licensed User

You can just write: Dim astream As AsyncStream = Sender

lemonisdead likes this.