Other My Experience with Google Cloud Platform

incendio

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi guys,

Just want to share my experience with Google Cloud Platform.
I got a free trial with a free credit valued US$ 300.

So, I created a compute engine to create my own VPS for my jRDC server.
It was running OK for about a 90 days, and than, one day, before lunch time, I made some new stored procedures, and after disconnected from VPS, after lunch I connected again to VPS and my database revert to the old version without any errors.

New changes to tables and stored procedures just gone, the database just revert to the very old one.
I am using Firebird database and Ubuntu 16 for my server.
I checked Ubuntu server uptime, but it never shutdown.

Didn't backup the database everyday because I thought, it's Google, it should be reliable, but it was wrong.

Tried to contact Google, but free account doesn't have technical support.

Don't know where are the problem, may be from Ubuntu OS or Firebird or GCP itself, but never had this problem with other VPS with the same OS & FIrebird.

So, if you using GCP or any other VPS, don't forget to backup your important files and settings.

OliverA

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I checked Ubuntu server uptime, but it never shutdown.

Just for fun, check some log files and see if there is a gap in logging. That would indicate that an older version of the VM was spun up. Since the VM would not realize this (the beauty of virtual tech), the uptime would never show the freezing/unfreezing of the VM.

Upvote 0

incendio

Licensed User
Longtime User
Just for fun, check some log files and see if there is a gap in logging. That would indicate that an older version of the VM was spun up. Since the VM would not realize this (the beauty of virtual tech), the uptime would never show the freezing/unfreezing of the VM.
Where is the log files, sorry, I am a novice in Linux, just know very basic operations.

Setup it with a predefined template in GCP.

Upvote 0

OliverA

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Usually found in /var/log directory

Upvote 0

OliverA

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
There should also be a logs folder inside the directory where your jrdc.jar (or whatever you named your jRDC2 project) file is located. If you use it daily, you should see a log file for every day jRDC was used

Upvote 0

incendio

Licensed User
Longtime User
There should also be a logs folder inside the directory where your jrdc.jar (or whatever you named your jRDC2 project) file is located. If you use it daily, you should see a log file for every day jRDC was used
The database revert to the very old version at August 18, on August 14, I made a backup database, the logs file from August 14 till August 18 were present.

Usually found in /var/log directory
There are a lots files in this directory, which one I should look for?

So, this is likely a VM problem? It is a dangerous one then, look at the attach files, the present database at GCP & a database from backup at August 14 ( which is still not the up to date), number of procedures, tables & triggers are different.

The strange thing is, I made a changes in ini file for jRDC after August 14, and this file is still up to date till now, only Firebird database that revert to the old one.

Is there any way to prevent this from happening again in the future?

Attachments

• Present.png
    Present.png
    72.8 KB · Views: 124
  • Db0814.png
    Db0814.png
    68.5 KB · Views: 137
Upvote 0