Native ads

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello,

As this topic covers multiple products/platforms (B4A/B4i) I'm putting it here, anyway...

My games need to be updated to be conform with google/admob policies.

While I'm at it it's maybe time to think about the ad strategy and have a look at these native ads.
Currently I only use interstitials but you know the pop-ups annoys people.

Now I was wondering if the people who have experience with this could answer some of my questions.

1. Does anyone use them in a game or is it more suitable in scroll list type apps?

2. Are there official methods available for both B4A & B4i or are it still 'javaobject hacks' ?

3. How flexible is this format? Can you only fetch the icon and put it anywhere on screen?

4. Are they pay per click only or do you (minimal) earn by impression aswell?

If you use it then if possible provide a link to your app so that I can have a look at it.
There is a lot of blah blah to be found on the internet about them but almost no real case screenshot examples.

Any stats about click through rates compared to interstitials are welcome aswell.

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Would the B4i implementation be possible with the current libraries? I use the remote builder.

No need to update or test things as I'll wait on info from others first to see how it goes on Android.

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I had a look at the method you refered to, Erel.

It still works but I was wondering about 2 things...

1. Can I use a test id?

According to several Admob pages the test id for native advanced ads is ca-app-pub-3940256099942544/2247696110
but when I use it normal native ads are still showing up. I accidently clicked one of these to test the behaviour.

2. Personal ads (GDPR consent) settings seems to be missing there. How should we set this boolean?

the line below give an error that the method was not found

B4X:
builder.RunMethod("NonPersonalizedAds",Null)

edit: ignore the above code as it's using the B4A lib call. I'll see if I can find the right method somewhere.

Last edited:

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I couldn't find much about the gdpr exept this

For the AdMob tag:
builder.setAdvancedOptionValue("personalizedAds", "false");

altho this fails

B4X:
    builder.RunMethod("setAdvancedOptionValue",Array("personalizedAds", "false"))

java.lang.RuntimeException: Method: setAdvancedOptionValue not found in: com.google.android.gms.ads.AdLoader$Builder

asales

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
1. Does anyone use them in a game or is it more suitable in scroll list type apps?
Yes. In scroll list and in the screens.

3. How flexible is this format? Can you only fetch the icon and put it anywhere on screen?
Very flexible. You need to put the obrigatory components and check the minimum sizes, but you can create the format that you want.

4. Are they pay per click only or do you (minimal) earn by impression aswell?
To me is pay per click (like my banners).

If you use it then if possible provide a link to your app so that I can have a look at it.
There is a lot of blah blah to be found on the internet about them but almost no real case screenshot examples.
nativo1.pngnativo2.png
The first format is based in the old native advanced express and it is ok. I use it in the scroll lists. The second format I need to confirm if it is ok to admob, but I think so.

Any stats about click through rates compared to interstitials are welcome aswell.
The order of revenue (lower to high):
- banner
- native
- interstitial
- rewarded

asales

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
1. Can I use a test id?
According to several Admob pages the test id for native advanced ads is ca-app-pub-3940256099942544/2247696110
but when I use it normal native ads are still showing up. I accidently clicked one of these to test the behaviour.
This is the code and you will see "Test Ad" in the title field of the ad.

Check my example:

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
This is the code and you will see "Test Ad" in the title field of the ad.

that's what I read on the google dox but it didn't do that.

now I started my project untouched and now it displays "Test Ad: Transitional period under MDR:" in the log
and in the app aswell with some additional text.

so it seems it needed a few days to allow me to use the test mode or something was wrong on their end.