Android Question Need Advice on proper gesture usage

Widget

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have a CustomListView and each item has a SeekBar on it. There may be 20 or 30 items in the CustomListView which means there are 20 or 30 SeekBars. I can use the SeekBar to update the item value and the code is working just fine.

Here's the problem. The user can of course use their finger to scroll through the list. How do I prevent the CustomListView vertical swipe gesture from being interpreted as the user moving the SeekBar horizontally?
  1. I thought I could make the SeekBars in the CustomListView ReadOnly by default and only activate the SeekBar if the user LongClicks on the SeekBar (or should it be the CustomListView item?). Then when the user drags his finger it will move the SeekBar. To make the SeekBar readonly again, the user does another LongClick.
  2. Or should I have a small edit icon on each CustomListView item that the user needs to click to enable editing so the SeekBar becomes enabled?
  3. Or should the edit button be on a panel at the bottom of the CustomListView? This means the user would click on the CustomListView item to select it and if he wants to change the SeekBar he would press the edit button in the panel that is at the bottom of the CustomListView?
I don't need any code samples. I only need to understand the correct gestures that Android apps normally use to allow the user to edit or modify an item in a CustomListView.

Any help or links to example apps would be appreciated.
TIA

Last edited: